Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 05:35:19 -0700

Dear Fellow Listrmembers:
        If you recall, early in September  I compiled a list of new doctor
questions from suggestions sent to me from many of you.   Well, finally I
am back to you with the results of my doctor search.
        I made appointments for "consultations" with 2 doctors.  Prior to
setting up the appointments, I had checked with my health insurance
company.  Luckily, all I had to pay for each visit (of $180) was the $10
co-pay while my  insurance company paid the rest.  I didn't want to push my
luck with them, so I narrowed it down to 2 doctors.
        The first doctor (Dr.K) was recommended by my gynocologist.  I've
been his patient for 20 years and have always been pleased with his
doctoring and anyone he has recommended to me.  He gave me a few names, one
of which is one who not only is an internist but a gastroenterologist as
well.
        The second doctor (Dr. A) was recommended by a fellow listmember
who also lives in Phx. Her husband is a Celiac and her entire family has
been very pleased with his services.  Both doctors had lots going for them,
soI knew the choice might be difficult.
        I visited Dr. A first. I was in the waiting area a while past my
appointment time, but used that time to chat with a couple of his patients.
Both raved about him and assured me that the wait was uncommon, but worth
it.  When I was finally called in, the nurse  led me to his office.
Shortly afterwards, the doctor came in, sat besides me and we tallked.  He
asked me lots of good, pertinent questions, many of which answered the ones
I had prepared to ask him!  He seemed very thorough as far as monitoring
the condition.  He also has had experience with CD through other patients
of his.   I was very impressed and felt the selection would be easy.
        Two days later, I visited Dr. K.  The office was much larger, fully
equipped to do all kinds of lab work and medical procedures right on the
premises.  I got right in.  I was taken to an examining room, sat on the
exam table, and the doctor came in and sat down.  Tho he has a background
of gastroenterology, he told me, he prefers to treat the entire  patient.
He admittd his experience with CD patients was limited.  Just the same, he
seem to have a solid knowledge of it.  I was also impressed with his
manner.   I could tell making this decision was going to be tougher than I
thought!
        Medically, both doctors seemed very thorough and well informed, tho
I really liked that Dr. K had the background in gasatroenterology.  On the
otherhand, I liked the fact that Dr. A had more dealings with Celiac
patients!  Both doctors took PLENTY of time with me (an HOUR in each case,
plus patients of both doctors had told me they always listen and take their
time). Dr. A's receptionist was more personable and easily accessable than
Dr. K's "menu" that answers the phone (I learned you had to press "0" to
bypass it).   The decision was definitely a  difficult one, which I
struggled over for many days.
        Interesting, BOTH doctors and their staffs acted like this was NOT
a common thing to have a patient sit there and interview them.  Both were
equally concerned about being selected.  For me, it was a wonderful
experience just  to be able to have that choice, rather than being a "new
patient" without ever even meeting the doctor first.  Finally, I chose Dr.
K - mostly for his gastroenterolgy background and the fact that I felt a
little more at ease talking to him.  I could very easily have selected the
other doctor as well!  When I finally made the decision, I had my previous
doctor's office transfer my files.
         BTW: I also contacted the Arizona Board of Medical Examiners for
background checks on both doctors.   The AZ  B. of M.E. can tell you when &
where the doctor was born, all their college & med school background,
medical experiences, complaints filed and their status.  I imagine this
very informative check can be done in most other states, as well.
       Fellow listmembers, if you also have the opportunity to consult with
a new doctor first, I strongly recommend that you do so.  Take along any
copies of previous tests you may have.  Ask all the questions you want.
Like any other good relationship, a doctor /patient relationship needs to
have trust and good communication.   It's YOUR body. It's YOUR life. And
it's YOUR money!  Be happy with your final selection.
        Thanks for listening.

                                    Nina :)
                         '89FX3/Coupe (SAM)
                                Phoenix,  AZ