From:
Metta Metta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Metta Metta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2006 13:25:11 -0700

Thanks so much for all the responses. You guys are
great! I should have written to the list before I went
to the doc.

Everyone reacts differently to gluten. The longest
gluten reaction was one year, two people had six
months reactions and several had 2-5 months.   Then
there were those who reacted for a few hours or a few
days. Michelle Melyn-Rogovin on the Chicago Celiac
Disease Program told a listmate that a gluten reaction
usually lasts about 6-8 weeks.
Suggestions for decreasing the reaction time included
take probiotics (you will be better in a day or 2) and
call the doc to get meds.

Some people suggested that I may be inadvertently
getting gluten from something I eat everyday such as:
1)non-gluten ingredients that are contaminated by
flying flour from other production lines. Eat only (or
mainly) simple unprocessed foods.
2) trail mix, dried fruit and nuts can be problematic
--look for private label ones, in h.f. stores,
farmer's markets & even in supermarkets that were made
in facilities in which there was no wheat.
3) Check your vitamins.

Some people suggested that it was perhaps from
something else including:
1) leaky gut syndrome -- heal it in a couple of months
by taking WITH EACH MEAL one probiotics complex and
one l-glutamine.
2)reacting to something I previously didn't react to
such as corn, milk or soy
3)residual stomach problems -consider a colonoscopy
4)something else that was triggered by the gluten
reaction and I am not able to shake. Try dividing your
meals and eating more times during the day but keeping
to the same amount.

Other great suggestions:
1)check out www.glutensensitivity.net
<http://www.glutensensitivity.net>    There is
discussion there of the dynamics that can happen when
gluten is ingested.  Check the intro page under the
links on gluten challenges, and also listen/read the
"stories to help us understand" on the testing page.
Several  of the stories deal with such issues.
2) The following website is about a study
demonstrating that injesting gluten does not always
show up on the blood tests:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16206501&query_hl=63&itool=pubmed_docsum

And then finally this: Many of us become more
sensitive the longer we're gluten free and
consequently, the longer the recovery time might be.
Many also develop more food  intolerances (Keep an
open mind and experiment with eliminating 1 thing at a
time for a few days.  Keep a food diary.)

Thanks again,