From:
Marne Platt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marne Platt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Apr 2005 16:38:30 -0500

People sent wonderful advice in response to my request for living gluten-
free in Switzerland. It sounds like it will be fun.

I received the following addresses for celiac societies:
http://www.zoeliakie.ch/
http://www.coeliakie.ch/
http://web.ticino.com/celiachia/
and a Multi-lingual restaurant card.

I’m going to take some conversational German lessons and brush up on my
French, so that should help, but nothing beats a good restaurant card when
you aren’t fluent in the local language.

I am also building a list of celiac-friendly restaurants and shops. It
sounds like there is more emphasis on unprocessed foods, making it easier
to know what you are buying in Switzerland than in the States. There are
stores called the “Reformhaus:, which sound similar to US health food
stores, and apparently some pharmacies carry GF foods.
More people recommended the Migros groceries than the Coop, and some said
that I should look for local butchers.  Toni brand yogurt was recommended
as all natural and really good.  People raved about Rosti (sort of like
hash browns), salads, and wursts and cold cuts. Basel has a market on
Saturday mornings where you can get good food at better prices  - since
this sounds like a great Farmer’s Market-type of event I can’t wait to
check it out!

Everyone was very friendly, and several people offerred to meet me for
coffee and show me around when I arrive. This list has once again shown
how when we cooperate and educate, dealing with Celiac disease is “ a
piece of GF Cake”

Thank you everyone!