From:
Wendy Percival <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 15:51:28 EDT

Dear List,

So we arrived in Kansas City from Chatham NJ during the summer.  Kimberly
(age 9 and gf since 1/00) signed up for girl scouts.  When her new troop
leader called me to tell me about their plans, she said they were camping
Sept. 7, 8, 9.  There was only one meeting before this trip.  I panicked.
How could I explain Kim's condition and get everyone trained in time?  Should
I keep her home?  Let her go and risk it?

Kim and I agreed that both she and I had to feel comfortable with the whole
thing if she was going to go.  When we all arrived at the leader's house for
the one and only meeting, she sent the girls to the kitchen table with these
instructions:  "This is Kimberly.  She is new to our troop.  You all need to
make a menu for our camping trip, and Kimberly can't eat everything, so
listen to what she says, and work it out."  Then she walked back to the
family room where the moms had their meeting.  I couldn't believe it.  The
girls asked questions and totally rose to the challenge.  How about this,
Kim?  How about that?  Kim said hot dogs are fine, I will just not eat the
roll.  Tacos would be great.  Long story short:  they had a ball and food was
a non-issue.

Moral of the story:  it can be done.  Our kids CAN be kids, just like
everyone else.

(it turns out that I went along as a chaperone, so I know all the food was
okay.  Kimberly had gone on the trip to the grocery store, so she read all
the labels and picked out the right brands.  When we give our kids the tools
they need, they can really look out for themselves.  Yeah!)

Thanks for listening.

Wendy
Kansas City