From:
Paula Greenspan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 23:04:16 EST

* Reply to note from Tom Fleming <[log in to unmask]> 01/22/96 5:48pm PST

We spent a couple of weeks in England last summer.  We took some gf supplies
with us as a starter, and found that helpful for the first couple days.

The Bed & Breakfasts we stayed at were quite accomodating and generally
served something acceptable if you like eggs, bacon, and kippers.  We carried
along some cold cereal as a supplement.  Don't trust their cold cereal - we
were offered Kellogs Rice Krispies (malt listed on the label) with the
assurance that another celiac visitor had eaten it a few weeks ago.  I think
that the British and American celiac organisations have different
philosophies on how strict the diet should be.

For lunches, we often pack something to carry anyway - yogurt or cheese,
fresh or dried fruits, nuts, chips ("crisps") and such are easy to get in
most places.  You can supplement with some gf crackers or cookies if you have
them.

For dinner, we try to stick with plain foods - steak was almost always
available at pubs.  We had some terrific roast lamb!  A couple of Chinese
restaurants kindly advised us on what would be acceptable (chow mein has
always worked in a pinch although not my favorite selection).  In general,
we found it little different than travelling in the U.S.  Smile, ask
questions, and leave time to find somewhere else if a restaurant doesn't
pan out.

One item of note is that gluten-free foods are found in a special section of
the pharmacy, as they can be prescribed by physicians there.  Boots the
Chemist is a common one.  The one we visited in London had a wonderful
selection of cookies and crackers I've never seen here.  Also some
"granola" which was great.  Didn't try the bread as we weren't sure it would
hold up to being hauled around.  The one in Winchester (a smaller town) had
very little - so if you're going to a city and have room to carry stuff,
stock up a little.

Have a great trip.

Paula ([log in to unmask])