From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 14:33:56 -0800

Hi All--

I accessed eMedicine.com this afternoon to find
information on another disease and decided to check on
this site's celiac prevalence information. It was
grossly inaccurate! It was stated that the prevalence
in the US was 1:4700.

I wrote to one of the medical advisors and cited the
article from Archives of Interal Medicine, Feb. 10,
2003, and asked that the information on their web site
be updated to reflect more current information. I
don't know if my efforts will do any good.

This is really just a FYI note. Personally, I'm amazed
and disappointed that the national celiac groups are
not helping to disseminate accurate information.
Perhaps that's not their purpose, but if not them,
then who? Granted, eMedicine.com should be on top of
the information they post, but I don't think they can
possably be on top of each and every illness, disease,
syndrome without help from others.

My intention is not to incite a riot, here, nor do I
intend to suggest the national celiac groups don't
work for us. Guess I just felt blind-sided and
discouraged by such outdated information on a site
that offers continuing education credits to medical
professionals.

Ayn in Alabama