From:
"S.McLeod" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 00:09:30 +1300

Could someone from the UK or Australia please tell me if Paddle Pop
Minis are gf. They are made in the UK, but the packet gives a customer
sevice centre number for Australia only (1800 643 336). The packet
contains both chocolate and vanilla flavours. They are a good size for
my daughter who is inclined to waste full-size milk-ice blocks, and
summer is fast approaching.

Now to the food labelling: Those of you in the USA will be interested to
know that "There is NO demand from (American) Consumers for food
labelling". This statement was repeatedly made, on our National Radio
programme during a discussion on whether genetically modified foods
should be labelled, by Sylvia Rowe, President of the International Food
Information Council. Since I only caught the end of the interview I have
no idea how well known or powerful this organisation is, or what she is
doing in New Zealand, but I do think this woman needs to hear from
people who are concerned about food labelling and why! Our government
recently rejected a bill that would have made the labelling of
genetically modified food compulsory, so at the moment we're still
hearing a lot on the subject.

I've just found the web site for the above organisation:(based in
Washington DC) http://www.starpass.net/winific.html
It has articles to do with gm foods and allergens (I typed "gluten" in
the search section) that tend to be very reassuring and offer the hope
that gm could eliminate allergens from some foods  . Ironically it also
has information on food labelling including the FDA policy on labelling
gm foods.
Stella
New Zealand