From:
Veronica Lavanga <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 09:17:39 EDT

Below are some of the responses I  received.  I hesitated to add the one
below that states that DAISY brand  has gluten in it, because I thought that was a
definite safe brand, but I  decided to add so everyone could check for
themselves, because since the  response stated there was gluten in Daisy, then maybe
one type does - perhaps  the low-fat?

There is a brand of sour cream in our supermarkets (Lancaster County, PA)
that lists food starch on the label, I can't remember which.  It is not
Breakstone and it is not Crowley's, both of which I buy.  It could be Penn  Maid, a
Philadelphia based brand is less expensive.

I don't remember one saying specifically gluten but a fair number of  brands,
especially store brands, have starch added in some form.  That may  be what
people are thinking of.

The last time I checked DAISY brand  sour cream it had gluten in it.  I live
in Ohio and I only use Kroger  Natural (I think that's the name) Sour Cream.
do not buy sour  cream that says modified food starch on it.  Unless the
source of the  starch is stated, you have no way of knowing whether it is
from corn or tapioca  or wheat.   I realize that some people feel safe when they
say "food  starch" because "most" of it is from corn, but that needs to
be made clear on  the label.

The ones that _might_ contain gluten are those that include modified  food
starch as a thickener. Now that sources need to be identified, I'd think  that
the starch would be labeled if it were wheat-based. I personally stick to  full
fat, low-ingredient sour creams such as Breakstone and Daisy, that don't
contain any filler, binder, thickener, starches, pectin, gelatin, etc. I find
they have a better texture and flavor.

Most regular sour creams that are REAL sour creams do not contain  gluten;
however, many imitation and LOW FAT do contain gluten - it may be listed  as
hydrogenised vegetable protein or modified food starch which can be from
either wheat or CORN.

Sour cream is one of those things that I've decided is safe for me,  just
like vanilla ice cream.  I just don't try any varieties like "fat  free" or
anything other than the normal.  I eat it in restaurants all the  time and have
never had any problems from  it.