From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 12:31:08 -0500

At least final for me.  A recent posting called into question about
contamination issues with Penzey's spices that contain garlic.  Someone at
Penzey's had informed her that the conveyor belts were dusted with flour to
keep the garlic from sticking, making any of their blends with garlic
potentially contaminated.  I was very upset because this flew in the face of
the information I have gotten from them previously and had posted here on
this listserv.  Since then, I had been using their products frequently.
Unfortunately, I jumped to conclusions after reading this recent posting and
returned what spices I had left with a rather indignant letter to boot.

I got a call the other day from Penzey's to inform me that I was wrong in my
assumption.  The caller did not know who gave out the info about dusting the
conveyor belts with flour, BUT THAT PERSON WAS WRONG.  (I suspect they will
look into this matter internally.)

The only Penzey products that Celiacs need to steer away from are their soup
bases, taco seasoning and anything that contains dehydrated cheese (dressing
mixes and the like).  The ingredients are clearing posted on each
bottle/package and in their catalogs so you can check them out for yourselves.

This woman was very concerned about the false information and seemed most
appreciative at my suggestion that I make making this posting to let others
know that it is very safe to use most of everything that Penzey's offers.
And if you get a chance, do try them.  Their Fox Point seasoning has taken
my leftover mashed potatoes and made the best potato patties ever!  (I have
no financial interest in Penzey's.)

Joy in Arizona