From:
Diana Day <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diana Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2013 11:12:25 -0400

We’ve just returned from Savannah, Ga  and wanted to post about our trip as
well as to warn people about the dangers of coffee shops. I’ve been gluten
free since 2003 and have had no trouble with coffee shops before now. I
don’t buy flavored coffees and am usually careful about creamers, reading
their labels first. This time, though, we stopped in at the District Café at
the corner of East Broughton and Abercorn and it was a disaster. I drank a
cup of half caffeinated, half decaf and thought the creamer said “half and
half”. Maybe not. Anyway, I was SO sick within half an hour that I knew it
had to be the coffee. It threw a pall over the rest of our few days there.

Despite that, I’d like to say really good things about two restaurants we
visited. The Sapphire Grill was outstanding. I’m also a vegetarian and the
entree they served was probably the best gluten free vegetarian meal I’ve
ever had. We also went to the Olde Pink House, which I was nervous about as
it looks like a touristy sort of place, but it was wonderful. Again I was
able to get a great vegetarian gluten free dish and it turns out the chef is
a vegetarian. The maître d’ came to our table to make sure everything was
alright and seemed genuinely interested in our having a good experience.

Now I’m just coping with the after-effects of being glutened – including the
disappointment that comes with having been zapped, unsuspecting. I think
I’ll stick to McDonald’s coffee and the occasional unflavored Starbucks.