From:
Leif O. Thorvaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 10:06:16 -0800

Further to my previous comments on DH:  I went to my new dermatologist
Thursday, specifically about DH.  He informed me that many celiacs like to
blame whatever rash they have on DH, when it is another type of rash.  He
said that DH is far more rare, but he believe that celiacs are prone to a
variety of rashes simply because our skins hold on to gluten for a long
period of time, rendering them defenseless against many bacteria.  He
insisted that I have two things done:  a skin biopsy and a blood panel,
before he would give me an serious medication for DH.  Although my rash is
devastating and itches and I am scratching myself to bits, he believe it is
not DH, but another form of dermatitis which may or may not be linked to
Celiac.

I am more confused than every now.  In fact, he admitted that he did not
know that much about it himself.  Most doctors tend to rely on test results
to make decisions. Since Dapsone and other sulphur drugs can have serious
side effects, he said that he wouldn't even prescribe it without a biopsy as
proof of DH.  He also tests weekly to see if the blood is holding up and for
side effects.

I'm still itchy and scratching myself, but I want to scan through my home to
eliminate all possible sources of gluten, and stay totally GF in diet to see
if this helps.  I'll let you know what happens