From:
Mary Bourgrif <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Bourgrif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2005 02:02:27 -0500

I've had several cross contamination type reactions lately. Because I've had
similar problems in the past from dried fruit and trail mix, I decided to
query Mariani since I recently switched from their dried pineapple to their
dried apricot.  The only ingredients listed on their package are: dried
apricots and sulfur dioxide (note: no starch).

My question (and disclosure): Please advise whether you use flour in your
production or packing of dried fruit.  Your reply will be shared
with others who have wheat or gluten intolerance.

Their response: . . .  As for our products, they are all gluten-free, and
the grain source for the starch that we use is rice. In our processing the
lines are cleaned using power washer equipment with food grade FDA approved
micro-bial control cleaning agents.

 Since I didn't feel comfortable with this I asked again:
. . . . Are you saying that you do use a flour in processing
or packing and that flour is rice flour?

Their response:  The grain is rice. There is no flour involved.

I have no idea what to make of this;  I'm just offering it to anyone to whom
it might make sense and be of interest.  Mary B.