From:
Joseph Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 22:45:05 -0400

Dear List Friends,
I was talking to another celiac the other day and I mentioned that I was
finally able to convince my 21 yr.old celiac son to stop drinking beer
when he parties.  He is now having Smiroff Twist Vodka mixed with 7up.
I was told that he should not be drinking that either because it is
distilled with a grain.  I got info on Smiroff from (2) sources on the
web, the CSA/USA list and another which I think was geocities.  I read
where it was distilled with corn and I thought that was ok.  Does anyone
know anything about Smiroff?

I feel real bad that I am the one that told my son he could have Smiroff
vodka.  I also read that potato vodka is ok.  Now I'm wondering about
that also.  I will be calling the Smiroff company when this holiday is
over.  I talked to him tonight and he was really upset about it.  He
also never has gotten over the fact that our doctors here are terrible.
They don't know the first thing about celiac disease and the GI who did
his biopsy (after he had been on a gf diet for 7 months) told us that it
was inconclusive for celiac.  Of course if he eats any gluten, be pays
the price.  I am thinking that maybe we should get his slides and have
them sent to someone (wish I knew who) to look at to see if they could
detect any villi damage or be able to tell us something.  I know that
there is a Dr. Green in NY who is supposed to be good, but I don't know
if he would be willing to look at slides for my son.

Thanks for letting me vent as I am in tears over all of this.  My son
even said that maybe he should take a gluten challenge and then get
another biopsy to be diagnosed once and for all.  This is so
frustrating, especially for a parent who spends every day thinking of
meals and new ways to be creative in cooking.  Thanks for being out
there for me and my son.  I love you all!

Anyway, let me know if you have any info on this subject.

God Bless you and yours,
Donna,
Flemington, NJ