From:
Andrea Otken-Dennis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 11:43:50 -0400

Hey All!

We just got back from Disney at 2 am on Saturday..and I thought I'd try
to get everything out to the groups while I was still able to remember
it...

First, let me say...I made NO preparations whatsoever before we went...I
took VERY little GF food with me and while things were difficult...no
one got sick!

little background...I, my now 4 year old, and my 20 month old son eat
GF. My 20 month old and myself eat little to no dairy (both allergic),
no beef, no peanuts, shellfish, among other things...In other words, we
have multiple issues with foods.. :)

We found GF food at Chamberlin's Health Food store on Dr Phillips
Blvd-an "ok" store...not great..but they had bread and cheese and a
couple other things...

We also found some at Publix and Albertson's (regular grocery stores).
finding health food stores was EXTREMELY difficult for us..for some
reasons...I went looking for several and had no luck.

so, we ate a bit of lunch meat while we were there (hillshire farms is
gf/df) but that was ok...

Restaurants: outside of Disney Jalapenos in Kissimmee (the food here was
not great, but they catered to no dairy and no one got sick) Ponderosa
(we ordered off the menu and got the buffet as well) Chick Fil A
Wendy's/McDonalds (chicken sandwich from Wendy's and fries from McD's)

Inside Disney:

Rainforest Cafe at Animal Kingdom (there is also one at downtown Disney,
but we didn't eat there)-This may have been the best meal I've ever
eaten in my life...I don't even remember what I ate..but it was some
type of chicken with cucumbers etc...they knew exactly what was Gf and
dairy free...they had foods that were low in gluten (we avoided like the
plague) so if you take those risks, go for it...The service was
incredible!!!!!

The waiter knew everything and we had no issues here..I felt like I was
cheating!

Hollywood and Vine at MGM- this is a buffet in general..they walked us
through the buffet and told us what we could have..and then told us, to
be sure that it was safe, they'd bring us food from the back that didn't
have any sauces etc on it...they knew exactly what not to give
us/suggest...The food here was incredible as well..I could have easily
eaten until I was ill! They even brought us Tofutti ice "cream" (that's
how I got hooked on it). We had turkey and boiled potatoes, corn with no
butter, my non-dairy free son had ice cream and mashed potatoes. We also
had chicken and a bunch of other stuff...

San Angel Inn, in Mexico at Epcot (in the Aztec pyramid) -The food here
was really good. It was something that I usually don't eat (mahi-mahi-I
don't eat any kind of fish in general)..they knew exactly what was safe
and not safe...my husband said that may have been the best meal he'd
ever had...I can't remember what he ate...but they made my non-dairy son
GF/DF tacos and my dairy eating son a quesadilla with corn
tortilla..they both scarfed them!

Restaurant in Norway/Finland at Epcot (I can't remember the name!
argh!). They had buffet here...I talked to the chef and he walked me
through everything and told me what was ok and what wasn't...they had
cold cuts, a rice dish with pork and some other things there...very
tasty...the chef wanted to make me one of his specialties, a
compote...but I was too full..oh well!

We also enjoyed Turkey legs at various stands and french fries from
various restaurants...All of the fries at Disney are supposed to be
GF...we had NO problems...I was amazed.

I hope this helps others planning a trip...all in all, I'd probably
recommend reservations (priority seating) if you're going..and calling
ahead...but we made out great without it...I would have to say though,
that the most frustrating part of our trip was finding food (the second
most was dealing with our kids! LOL!).

We stayed at the Doubletree Guest Suites at Downtown Disney (hotel
purchased through Priceline really cheap!)

The accomodations were great..rooms were big..service was good (although
my husband's key kept dying every couple days-but it was kind of funny).

We visited Magic Kingdom, animal kingdom, epcot, mgm, sea world and
typhoon lagoon, as well as downtown disney, almost daily.

I'm sure there's something that I forgot...

If you have any more questions, please email me...

Andrea