From:
Rebecca Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 10:05:57 -0500

I guess I feel the need to respond to the person who was offended by my
use of the word "terrible".  In fact, the diet is not "terrible".  We
count ourselves fortunate, since our daughter is not lactose intolerant
and does not appear to have any other allergies or intolerances to contend
with.  I'm rather proud of the fact that from the outset we have kept her
GF.  We accepted it, moved on, and decided to be happy that this diet made
her healthy.  We have tried to keep a sense of humor about this (I try to
remember this when I find myself in a "cloud" of rice flour), and we know
that the worst thing we could do for our daughter is give her the
impression that she is somehow "deprived".  But, she will always be
"different" and that is hard for kids.  Further, I think it is pretty
obvious that the diet, in our society and culture, is darned inconvenient,
and I doubt that any of us would elect to adhere to it if we didn't have
to.  'Nuf said on my part.