From:
Al Rosenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 17:15:40 -0500

            You don't have to hold a Ph.D. in science (which I do) to
know that vaporizing off the gluten-based alcohol from the vanilla
extract will leave some gluten product behind in the Corn Flakes.
            How much gluten per serving of cereal remains and what
tolerance level exists for my wife to minute amounts of gluten are two
quantitative questions I can not answer.
            However, since her dh was identified in the spring, she has
been doing her best to get gluten free.  The dh blisters still appear,
though to a greatly reduced extent.                         Nature's
Path Honey's Corn Flakes is one of her main breakfast foods.  We buy the
box for $3.19 at Orleans Whole Food Store with GLUTEN FREE written in
capital letters at the top left of the front of the box.  The top is
dated "Best before  020198B".  One third down the side of the box it
reads, "GLUTEN FREE" followed by "We guarantee there are no ingredients
in this product containing wheat or gluten."
                        Thanks for the info,  Al Rosenberg on Cape Cod