From:
KATHY BENNETT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
KATHY BENNETT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:55:33 -0400

Dear Listmates,

I have posted 2 of the many responses I've received answering my question on
ppms and gluten free. My conclusion is that Nestle graciously reveals what
most food manufacturers choose to hide. The consensus is that the FDA
guidelines for GF will most likely be less than 10 or 20 ppms therefore less
the 1 ppm is an amount celiacs may unknowingly ingest on a regular basis.
The food labeling laws are making progress but not quickly enough for those
with food intolerances. Kudos to Nestle for their honesty.

Personally, food that is not naturally GF such as fruits or veggies or
those manufactured in a gluten free facility most likely contain some degree
of gluten. I recommend anti-body tests every six months to keep an eye on
dietary compliance. I realize it may take time to build those antibody
levels up but right now it is the celiac's best tool. Will my daughter drink
the Carnation Instant Breakfast? I'm not sure. Even though she probably eats
foods containing more gluten than that everyday unknowingly, seeing the
"barley" on the label might make it difficult to drink. On the other hand,
she needs quick nutrition to keep up with the rigors of working as a
pediatric nurse and can't stomach things like Ensure or Boost. I fear that
we are going to be in for some big surprises once this labeling issue is
finalized.
KathyB

Two listmates responded:

"If it is less than 1 ppm, it is GF.  It means there's none.
In Canada, GF means less than 20 ppm of gluten particles.  In Europe, it is
less than 200 ppm, and there's no rules established in the USA."

"Yep. Gluten free can mean a lot of things. Something may be naturally
gluten free because of the ingredients (vegetables etc) or it maybe be
gluten free according to one of the tests. No test goes down to zero.
There is currently no standard in the U.S for the term. The FDA will
have one in 2008. Both GIG and CSA have certification programs that
labelproducts gluten free"