From:
- Phyllis Chinn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:20:42 EST

You probably don't want to freeze anything w/ noodles or a cream base.
Chili, baked beans, or bean soups freeze well as does squares of lasagna.

When I make rice, I usually cook a double recipe & freeze the leftovers in
a ziplock bag.  Later, I can take out what I need & reheat in micro for a
quick meal.   Chili or a chicken w/ vegetables would be good over brown rice.

You can also make multiple servings of hot cereals...Spread in a pan, cut
in squares & freeze individually to reheat in microwave.

There's a great Taste of Home magazine in the stores now called Casseroles,
Slow Cooker & Soups--Cost is $9.99 (11% discount at Menards in our area).
It's full of entrees...Most of them are made with minimally processed
ingredients that have easy to find g.f. versions--chicken broth, canned tomato
products, cheese & sour cream, spices & herbs, & lots of fresh veggies.  A few
have the usualy creamed soup but you adapt the recipe for non-condensed
Progresso Cream of Mushroom or other g.f. brands.
++++

Three days ago I went down to Dollar Tree and found some plastic freezer
containers to hold soup. When I make soup I always make lots so that I can
freeze some. I made enough bean soup so that we could have it for two meals. My
husband would gladly have it for  for four days straight, twice a day.  Now
when he wants some he can go to the freezer and take some out. There now
are six containers of  bean soup waiting for him joining the chicken noodle,
potato broccoli and chili. I am the one that cannot have gluten so none of
the soups that I make have gluten in.

There are some Progresso soups that are GF that you could buy if you do not
usually make your own.

My son was in several hospitals for long periods of time, they all  claimed
to prepare gluten free meals altho I never saw one to know if the kitchen
really carried thru. He was on diets involving his kidneys, diabetes and
heart and they could not come up with meals that he could eat.
+++
1 broasted chicken leftovers

3 quarts water
1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
6 cups uncooked Wide noodles
4 cups sliced carrots
1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
3/4 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

DUMPLINGS:

1-1/3 cups ail-Purpose flour
 2 teaspoons baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first six ingredients; bring to
a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Remove chicken;
allow to cool. Strain broth; discard bay leaf. Skim fat. Debone chicken and cut
into chunks; return chicken and broth to pan. Add noodles, vegetables, rice
and parsley; bring to a simmer. For dumplings, combine flour, baking powder,
thyme and salt in a bowl. Combine milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients.
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto simmering soup. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
15 minutes (do not lift the cover). Yield: 20 servings (5 quarts).  yes,
even the dumplings freeze well.

HAMBURGER VEGETABLE SOUP

Brown
1 # hamburger ( generous #)
1 cup chopped onion

Add:
I cup diced potato
I cup sliced carrots
I cup sliced celery
1 cup shredded cabbage
2 to 4 cups diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
1/4 cup uncooked rice
6 cups water
1/3 tsp. basil
1/3 tsp. thyme
1/3 tsp. garlic powder
I beef bouillon cube
I bay leaf
salt to taste

couple Spurts of Tabasco sauce Cover and simmer 1 hour  - I am not sure if
Tabasco is gf - you better omit or check it out

Garden Turkey Soup
Simmer 1 ~ lbs turkey bony pieces (or leftovers from Turkey breast or whole
turkey) with 2 qts water & 1 tsp Mrs Dash and 1 tsp salt. Cook for 2 hours.
Remove meat.
In stock pot or your largest pan combine 6-8 c turkey broth from above (add
chicken broth made from bouillon if necessary),
1 small peeled chopped rutabaga    2 peeled grated carrots
½ c soup pasta or rice            ¼  tsp Mrs. Dash
3 red potatoes peeled & diced.
Cook 15 min while chopping 1/2 bunch green onions (tops too),
1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp basil. Cook until pasta & vegetables are done. Then
add 1/3 lb frozen spinach &
the diced meat.
++++
Make a chicken broth from a carcass and LOTS of vegetables. Buy the kind of
brown rice frozen that can be heated in the microwave for 3 minutes.  Add
that to your frozen chicken veggie soup when you eat it. GOOD LUCK on your
hip replacement.  I am probably not far behind you.
++++

Good idea plus ask the hospital if they have a refrigerator you can use and
have someone bring food items to the hospital for you. My husband brought
me scrambled eggs in a thermos and soup, I brought tea, crackers, snacks you
like that are healthy and the hospital was very good about bringing me hot
water, I also put juice in their refrigerator. Jello and pudding snacks, dry
fruits.  Their jello was GROSS. Small peanut butter and jelly.
++++

My favorite super-soup is black bean and kale soup. Chop a few cloves of
garlic and half a white onion and saute in olive oil with a tablespoon or two
of chili powder. Add 6 cups of black beans and a head of kale. Bring to a
boil, let it simmer for 20 minutes, then let it cool. When it's cool, put it
into a blender and whirr it until it's smooth. The soup freezes wonderfully,
and it's delicious with slice of mango on the side.
++++++