From:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:38:36 -0800

Hi Listmates,

I'm feeling philosophical having just discovered another new product labelled gluten free that wasn't - Dan-D brand Rice Toonies - Tamari with Seaweed flavour. (Yes, I've contacted Health Canada - the company is based in Richmond, BC).

There is a lot of misunderstanding of products that are gluten free, organic, natural, kosher, carb reduced, low sodium, lactose free etc. A person looking for one very important criteria can't assume other needs are also satisfied.

As for manufacturers, we should give them credit for trying to target label, but they don't always know the background needs - one size doesn't fit all. They need to be gently educated.

While I'm celiac and would prefer to purchase kosher products as well, it is much more important to me to find gluten free, lactose free, and vegetarian so my mom & daughter-in-law & I can all eat the same product - kosher definitely becomes a "nice to have" not a "must have". Organic is also on my list of "nice to have" as is low sodium, low sugar & low fat.

Always, always and still the mantra has to be: If I'm to eat safely, it's totally up to me to check and double-check - can't ever be casual about this.

Helen in Vancouver