From:
Kathleen Curet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathleen Curet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 09:46:04 -0800

Hello Bread-seekers,

Here is the recipe we put together from several other recipes and various bits of wisdom about gf breadmaking (thanks to a hungry, newly gf husband).

BUCKWHEAT BREAD

1c white rice flour

1c brown rice flour (we've substituted 1/2c potato STARCH flour and 1/2 c sweet sorghum flour when out of  b. rice flour, worked ok)

1/4c soy flour

1/4c cornstarch

1/2c buckwheat

2-1/2t xanthan gum

1-1/2t salt

Mix these dry ingredients together in bowl, set aside.

3 eggs

1t vinegar

3T vegetable oil

1T molasses

1t Knox powdered gelatin

1-3/4 c WARM water

3T sugar

1T dry yeast

Mix the warm water w/ yeast and sugar, set aside while you mix the rest of the wet ingredients together (I use the KitchenAid), then dump in the yeast/H20/sugar mixture, mix,  then pour in the dry ingredients and gently mix the whole thing.

Next we poured it all into the bread machine pan (we have a pretty basic Oster Deluxe 2# Bread & Dough Maker w/ the square-ish pan).  The dough is pretty gloppy...we set the machine to BASIC and MEDIUM crust and let it do its job...2:45 total time in the machine and then remove it immediately.  Its unbelievable!

My brother-in-law made it conventionally, let it rise in the bowl once and then poured it into pans and baked at 350' and it turned out ok.

I also made hamburger buns out of it...glopped the batter onto a cookie sheet (parchment paper will help w/ removal but not necessity), put it in a warmish (100') oven to rise for a bit and to keep away from drafts then transferred into 350' oven for about 20 minutes.  It worked out great.

The bread is very mild tasting and doesn't have that beany flavor, cuts beautifully and has spring to it!!!  The color from the buckwheat is the only oddity but I can get past that...seems exotic.  Hope it works out as well for you as it did for us.  We really like buckwheat (its from the rhubarb family, btw).

Peace to all,

Kate