From:
Diane Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 16:32:05 -0800

Me again.

For making one's own bread, check out www.scdiet.org which has several
high protein gluten free bread recipes.

Re Ezekiel bread (sprouted wheat).  Two list members said they eat this
bread.  I do NOT recommend it.  Period.  A couple of people said it
contained barley malt, but the consensus was that regardless of that,
sprouting does not remove gluten.

A quote from a list member:

I called FOOD FOR LIFE's 800# to check on Ezekiel bread.  They said it
wasn't technically gluten-free.  Apparently, the sprouting process does
break down the gluten in such a way that it's more digestible for many
people but it doesn't disappear.  It's up to individuals to decide for
themselves.  It doesn't seem to affect me but as I say I seem to be
gluten intolerant, not celiac.  But I did notice in the ingredients that
it has malted barley so that's another problem for many.  I suggested
they look for a substitute to that for those of us who'd prefer to stay
away from malted barley.  thanks for provoking the investigation.

Here is a quote from a nutritionist: .... what I learned in school ...
was that the PROTEIN of the grain contained the "gluten".  This means
that the grasses (sprouted grain), juices and actual grain of wheat,
rye, barley will all contain "gluten" since they also will contain the
protein from the grain. I personally react to wheatgrass juices and all
sprouts.

End of subject.

Diane