From:
Bev Lieven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:22:04 EDT

In a message dated 8/20/2006 12:58:29 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I recently asked Kraft the same question and got the same answer.

They don't have a g.f. list, just read the labels...That's been their policy
for quite some time.

This article is hidden on their website...

http://www.kraftfoods.com/health/articles/gluten_free_0623031.pdf  I had the
link but
Their search engine won't find it if you type in glutenfree...You need
gluten-free (hypen), gluten free (space) or even just gluten (which is the way I
usually do searches) although they many just get to the consumer information
page...

It's too bad their consumer reps don't know refer people to this page. It
would certainly same them lots of time.

It took about half an hour, but I was figure able to figure out the links
from the home page....For those who are interest in that--

www.Kraft.com
Responsibility (Top tab)
Nutrition, Health & Wellness (Sidebar)
Consumer Information & Services (Sidebar)
Healthy Living onKraftfoods.com (In text  "For comsumers... )"
Healthy Living Section (In text)
Healthy Living Library (Sidebar)
Healthy Living Resouce Center (Box at bottom on page)
Nutrition Basics (In text--5th Section)
Choosing Gluten-Free Foods.

"Read the label" policies such as Kraft's are specific to that product at the
time of production so they never become outdated.. If mom gives you something
from her cupboard, you don't have to worry when she bought & find a g.f. list
from that time.

Campbells is one few the companies that provides a g.f. list, totally
complete w/ UPC codes. What are the chances that you are going to check the UPC code
or that you even have the list w/ you every time decide to buy something. This
gives people a false sense if security and they buy produces w/out checking.
List can also be outdated the day after it arrives...

Many are obviously too new to remember the days when celiacs beseiged
companies, like Kraft, with layers of questions questioning the answers they'd been
given until the company's only response was "We don't have those answers so
don't buy our product." Companies, as well as celiac consumers, are better
informed today and the especially the large companies are doing their best to meet
the needs of a growing market.

It seems very strange for many of us to be getting tips from Kraft on how to
read labels for gluten-free.  We can remember when had to explain "what gluten
was" in the letter we actually WROTE letters (remember that??? Long before
800-numbers!) and the stamp cost from 20 to 29 cents...

Bev in Milwaukee