From:
Patty Crowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 May 1998 15:53:44 -0700

To all those who are looking for solutions to constipation problems,
please take note that I ahve been by several physicians that overuse of
any products containing senna, inclusing cascara sagrada, can cause a
deadening of the nerve endings in the colon which will then lead to
further, more difficult problems.  Both physicians have told me that
this damage is irreversible.  I did this and the damage was confirmed
for me.

Though I, too, would recommend any natural product over any medication,
please do be aware that senna products and products containing cascara
sagrada are for short term use only and not for any long term use. They
are best used as colon cleanses a few times yearly and not as a daily
supplement.  Psyllium husks will not lead to this problem, nor any foods
that I know of.  Just wanted to make this known, as I made this mistake
and do not wish it on anyone else.

Best,
Patty from DC