From:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2008 15:59:05 -0600

Hi Everyone,

I inquired of the group as to whether anyone had a tried and true recipe for GF Elephant Ears and only got a few responses.

Below are the responses that I received besides two asking for summaries:

1.    "I suggest that if you can find a recipe using wheat flour, you may use it with the following flour mixture with good results:

GF Flour mix: 2 c brown rice flour, 2 c white rice flour, 1 1/2 c sweet rice flour, 1 1/3 c tapioca starch, 2/3 c cornstarch, 1/2 c rice bran and 2 tsp xanthan gum. Sift together several times. I usually 4x this recipe and keep extra in the freezer. Works well in all my old cookie & bar recipes - even rolled out sugar cookies."

2.    "Up north we call them fried dough ~ Because that is what they are.  I
would try a simple basic bread recipe and pan fry it up then sprinkle
with powdered sugar, cinnamon and what ever suits your fancy.  Good luck"

3.    "I looked online and many are either a yeast dough or used puff pastry.  They would be more difficult & not up to Gramma expectations.

The trick to g.f. baking is about creating the illusion!  If Gramma can make something that looks AND tastes similar, it won't matter if the same texture--baked or fried, isn't the same as he remembers it. Chances are a young child won't care much about the difference.  What is important is that a loving grandmother cared enough to make them especially for him.

Or, the Chebe cinnamon roll mix might also work well."

4.    "We have always made them with the left over pie crust dough.  roll it out, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and bake about 10 minutes at 325 degrees.  As kids we liked to make shapes out of them.

You can also take a gf wrap and sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon and warm under the broiler."

Neither my friend or I have had a chance to work on coming up with a suitable GF Elephant Ear, but if and when we do, we will share.

Thank you for your help and a Happy GF Thanksgiving to all,
Barbara in SW Missouri