Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 20:57:18 PST

Labeling Proposal:

Create the symbol  "GF" (with a circle around) it for gluten free foods.
Manufacturers could put this on the label near the weight or volume of
the product.

The criteria for using GF on a label would be:

1. There is no added gluten products or byproducts.
2. There is no gluten products or byproducts used during the mfg
process. (List of such by-products will have to be available to mfgers,
preferably by someone associated with this listserv group.)
3. Although machines are not necessarily dedicated, they are cleaned
thoroughly using a process similar to what Health Valley uses, which
seems to work well. (I don't know what that process is at this point).
4. Or the product has been tested and proven to be gluten free.

Companies which claim that some people may react to contamination in
their their products, should not be allowed to use the GF symbol. For
instance, Frito Lay provides a warning on their gluten free list that
due to contamination sensitive people may react to their products.  (I
get gluten reaction from Lays Classic---so I agree... sensitive people
can react.)

After we create the symbol, we market it to manufacturing companies.  We
try and get them to put the symbol on in order to increase sales and to
lessen phone calls from celiacs.  Since every time the product
ingredients change the manufacturer must change the label, they could
add or remove the GF when needed with no added expense.

Also important is getting legislators to sponsor a bill that defines
what the symbol means and to use the criteria we have developed.  If
they pass a bill, the FDA would have to enforce it.  This doesn't meant
that companies would have to list if it is gluten free.  I doubt that
would pass at this stage of the game.  But at least it would get the
process started without incurring additional expense for companies if
they are changing their labeling anyway.   Much of the recruitment for
use of the symbol lies with celiacs.

Summary of proposal:

We use the GF symbol.
We agree on the criteria.
We get the written backing of local and national celiac groups.
We speak to our legislators to write and sponsor a bill.
If the bill passes, we call mfg firms to encourage use of the symbol in
order to cut back on celiac phone calls to their firms.  We encourage
them to add the GF the next time the label needs changing (if the
criteria are met.)

Anyway, these are just my thoughts.  I am sorry to say I haven't read
many of the messages on this topic.  I am like Karen, I only read
messages with subjects that interest me. There is just too much mail
otherwise. In fact, I am on nomail, and I read the postings as they
appear on the internet archive site:

( http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/celiac.html )

Otherwise it just clutters up my mail box.

Abigail, St Paul, MN
Celiac Disease On-Line Support Group http://www.customforum.com/celiac/
Moderated chats: Mon 8-9pm E.T.
Non-Moderated Chat Wed 8-10pm E.T.