Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 11:01:56 +0200

Thank you for all the responses regarding my six-year old's recent loss of
bladder control. I'm sorry I couldn't reply to everyone individually (this
has been a week from hell), but I'll summarize the responses here.

To clear a couple of things up, I had already checked to see if it was a
bladder infection. But that was when he was diagnosed with Scarlet Fever
(it's a routine test here because of the kidney complications that can
develop). And since then he has had another round of strep. In both cases he
had antibiotics--which I would think would clear up any bladder infection as
well. But I could be wrong, and I think I'll bring in another sample just to
make sure.

I was mainly wondering if this could be connected to Celiac Disease
(particularly in children). I had heard so, but I wasn't sure. Many of the
several posts from another list about children who were having problems with
potty training. In the examples he sent, all of them, as soon as they cut
out gluten, were suddenly able to both discern the need to go and control
the urge until they could get to a toilet. FWIW, my son was potty trained
very quickly and easily just after he turned 3 (it took a week, he did it
himself). This problem is a new one.

Here are quotes from the relevant posts:

(1)
"Well, my daughter had a problem similar. <snip>... once she
was put on a gluten free diet it all subsided-when reintroduced to gluten
the symptoms return! "

(2)
"From my own experience (personal) having organ and bladder control problems
would not be a surprise. I was experiencing a variety of similar problems.No
answer could be given, but my own hypothisis suggests two possibilities.
First would be the loss of muscle coordination from the lack of nutrients,
and second could be the possibility of peripheral neuropathy type
complications indirectly affecting organs etc."

(3)
"If you are asking if this is a gluten problem, the answer is yes, so it
will go away after he goes gluten-free.  What to do in the meantime?  I
don't know. "

(4)
"The loss of bladder control is common in celiac children. I suspect it is
due to a concentration of opioid peptides from the incomplete digests of
gluten, and dairy proteins. They probably anesthetize the nerves that would
otherwise aid in sensing the need to urinate. I had similar difficulties as
a child, although I grew out of the problem, and I wasn't diagnosed until
many years later."

(5)
"My six year old son with celiac has had bladder control problems.  We found
his problem was that his colon was full (constipation) and that it was
putting pressure on his bladder.  Since we have made sure his bowels are
emptying every day, he doesn't have bladder leakage.  I don't know if this
is your son's problem, but I hope you find an answer."

(6)
"I'm so sorry he is going through all of this.  I had the same problem at
his age. I have read that bed wetting can be an allergy.  Try taking him off
milk and milk products to see if it helps. You are right to wait for the
biopsy before getting him off gluten.  If it gets too hard you might want to
try moving up the date of the procedure."

(7)
"I had bladder control problems as a youngster.  And as an adult, I was
starting to leak- I thought my "incontinence" was  part of aging, but it
went away when I went gf.  I recently succumbed to some delicious cookies
(I'm not diagnosed so I still wonder if I have an allergy which might go
away) and that symptom returned, among others (including migraine and
digestive problems).   If you search the archives you'll find discussions of
incontinence and bladder problems among the adults on the list. But I
haven't seen a discussion of children's bladder problems."

(8)
"Your description sounds just like what one of my preschool students was
suffering from.  She explained it exactly the same as your son.  She was
eventually diagnosed with kidney stones caused by protein.  She had to go on
a strict diet to curb her protein intake and drink specific (large) amounts
of water daily."

(9)
"My 5 year old was diagnosed a year and a half ago. Just before diagnosis
there was a need for frequent unrination (especially at night, 4 & 5 times
some nights).  <snip> Also, she did have less control on days she was
feeling really bad.  <snip> The good news is this is not so much of a
problem now that she is GF.  We make sometimes one and often no trips to the
bathroom through the night now."

(10)
"Our 4 year old [celiac] son didn't show traditional symptoms of celiac. ...
We had a terrible time potty training him, but got it done at 3 and 1/2.
However, he was never dry at night or nap time with gluten in the system.
Once we took out the gluten, he was dry at night most of the time and at nap
time always.  We have tried to keep him gf since Feb., but have encountered
many hidden sources of gluten.  One of our best indicators of hidden gluten
has been based on Conner wetting at nap time. When he is awake, he is ok, so
it isn't exactly the same as your situation.  But going gf, he began feeling
pain, temperature changes, and other sensations that he couldn't do on
gluten."

****

Thanks again to everyone who responded. It's nice to know we aren't alone.

--Lynn Nygaard