From:
Lori Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lori Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 20:41:21 -0500

Here are the responses I got from my question about the difference between lactose and casein and about the fact that cheese can list 0 g. of lactose  The first
was the most informative for me, the rest were
interesting additional information.  Removing the lactose has gotten rid of all of her gassiness and most of her bloating so it is definitely not casein intolerance.  I was relieved to hear that it can take so much time to heal.

***Two points here.  When dairy (milk) is processed
into certain things like cheese, especially hard
cheese and yogurt with live cultures, the lactose
sugars is often consumed and anyone you gets gas and
diarrhea from lactase they can usually eat these.

To the next point:
This is different then an allergy from milk.  The
lactose sugars is digested in our intestines by
lactase enzyme.  I am sure you know that one the
damages to the small intestine due to celiac is the
damage to the villi, small finger like projects.  On
the tips of the villi are villin (sp?), hair like
strands and on the tips of these is where the
lactase enzyme is produced.

Therefore, when someone has active celiac and the
villi and therefore the villin are damaged, then
lactase is not produced to consume the lactose sugars
in dairy products.  Thus gas and diarrhea usually
result.

When someone with celiac starts their diet, they often
recover the ability to drink milk, but this is one of
the last things to come back. For me I noticed changes
at about  months after going GF, but it really
took 2 years for me to fully recover and be able to
pretty much drink as much milk and consume other diary
products as I desire.

***Lactose is milk sugar, and casein is a milk
protein.  My doctor told me that I should be able to
eat yogurt if I was just lactose intolerant because
the culture uses most of the lactose during the
production of yogurt. Usually, hard cheeses like
cheddar and parmesan also contain little lactose and
may be eaten in small amounts by all but the most
intolerant people, particularly if eaten with some
Lactaid.  Since I can't eat yogurt even with
Lactaid, it seems my problem is with some milk protein
or with saturated fat in general (which apparently
irritates people with irritable bowel syndrome). Since
even fat free dairy products bother me, I assume my
problem is with milk proteins, but I haven't been
tested yet.

*** think all hard cheeses have very little
lactose(cracker barrel also states lactose-free on the
label) and yogurt is ok, too.

***When people are Lactose Intolerant it means they
don't have the necessary enzyme to break it down,
therefor creating gas, bloating, etc.

Casein is the PROTEIN in all milk, and can create
havoc in the intestine very much like gluten does, if
you are casein intolerant.  I was told at the celiac
conference that I could do the same damage to my villi
with casein as I can with Gluten.

So there is a BIG difference.  You could eat lactose
free foods, or take Lactaid pills before you eat
dairy, if you are "just" lactose intolerant.  If you
are Casein intolerant, you can't have ANY dairy.
Period.  I know, it's a pain, and there is NO GF and
CF cheese worth eating.

***I don't know if it's lactose or casein that is my
problem, but I know Kraft Cheddar Cheese is the only
dairy I don't have problems with.

***Many people with CD are lactose intolerant because
of intestinal damage, which will eventually heal.
Casein intolerance, like gluten intolerance, is
lifelong.

***Actually, very many cheeses are essentially lactose
free, but no true dairy cheese can be casein free.
Whey cheeses tend to have more lactose. However, most
cheese is made from the curd fraction, which has
little lactose left.