From:
Andrea Levario <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 10:03:01 -0500

On Monday, December 8, Representatives Nita Lowey (NY-18)
and James Greenwood (PA-8) introduced H.R. 3684, the "Food
Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2003".
The bipartisan legislation addresses the needs of the
estimated 2.5 million celiacs in the U.S.

H.R.3684 would require the top 8 allergens -- wheat, milk,
eggs, shellfish, fish, soybeans, peanuts, and tree nuts --
to be listed on food labels by their common or usual name,
or by source of the ingredient.  The measure would also
require the Secretary of HHS to develop rules for the use of
the term 'gluten-free' on food labels.  If enacted, the
provisions would go into effect on January 1, 2006.

These provisions mirror those included in Title II of S.
741, which passed the Senate HELP Committee with unanimous
bipartisan support, on November 21.

Reps. Lowey and Greenwood, were joined by 13 of their
colleagues in sponsoring the bipartisan bill:

Rep Sherrod Brown [OH-13]
Rep Rosa DeLauro [CT-3]
Rep Maurice Hinchey [NY-22]
Rep Joseph Hoeffel [PA-13]
Rep Steve LaTourette [OH-14]
Rep George Miller [CA-7]
Rep Eleanor Holmes Norton [DC]
Rep Frank Pallone, Jr. [NJ-6]
Rep Lucille Roybal-Allard [CA-34]
Rep Jose Serrano [NY-16]
Rep Louise McIntosh Slaughter [NY-28]
Rep Henry Waxman [CA-30]
Rep Lynn Woolsey [CA-6]

We are grateful to Representatives Lowey and Greenwood for
supporting the celiac community and sponsoring this
legislation. What a wonderful holiday present for us!

Now we can relax for a few weeks, and prepare for the
serious work ahead in 2004!

Andrea Levario and Allison Herwitt
Co-Chairs, American Celiac Task Force