From:
Allen Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:06:32 -0500

Hi Folks, I just wanted to pass on this information that Ron Hoggan sent
to me for those who asked for a connection to Celiac disease.  Thanks to
Ron for this information.

Diana in RI

-------------------------

On November 17, you asked about connections between celiac
disease and polymyositis. I ran a medline search of cd and
polymyositis. I have appended the citations that came up.

I read the available abstracts, and it appears that the
gluten free diet may also improve the symptoms of
polymyositis in some folks.

It certainly seems worthwhile to order serological
testing for celiac disease, and even with a negative
test, I would consider an empirical trial of a
gluten-free diet. There is little to lose with
such an approach, and a great deal to gain.
best wishes,
Ron Hoggan

1.  Falcini F, Porfirio B, Lionetti P. Juvenile dermatomyositis and
celiac disease.
J Rheumatol. 1999 Jun;26(6):1419-20.

2.  Hadjivassiliou M, Chattopadhyay AK, Davies-Jones GA, Gibson A,
Grunewald RA, Lobo AJ. Neuromuscular disorder as a presenting feature of
coeliac disease. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1997 Dec;63(6):770-5.

3.  Buderus S, Wagner N, Lentze MJ.
Concurrence of celiac disease and juvenile dermatomyositis: result of a
specific immunogenetic susceptibility?
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 1997 Jul;25(1):101-3.

4.  Volta U, De Franceschi L, Molinaro N, Tetta C, Bianchi Organ-
specific autoantibodies in coeliac disease: do they represent an
epiphenomenon or the expression of associated autoimmune disorders? Ital
J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 1997 Feb;29(1):18-21.

5.  Evron E, Abarbanel JM, Branski D, Sthoeger ZM. Polymyositis,
arthritis, and proteinuria in a patient with adult celiac disease.J
Rheumatol. 1996 Apr;23(4):782-3.

6.  Coupe MO, Barnard ML, Stamp G, Hodgson HJ. Ulcerative ileojejunitis
associated with pulmonary fibrosis and polymyositis.
Hepatogastroenterology. 1988 Jun;35(3):144-6.

7.  Vilppula AH, Aine RA. Polymyositis associated with several
immunological disorders.Clin Rheumatol. 1984 Dec;3(4):533-9.

8.  Henriksson KG, Hallert C, Norrby K, Walan A.  Polymyositis and adult
coeliac disease. Acta Neurol Scand. 1982 Apr;65(4):301-19.

9.  Henriksson KG, Hallert C, Walan A.  Gluten-sensitive polymyositis
and enteropathy. Lancet. 1976 Aug 7;2(7980):317.

10.  Kerl H, Aubock L. [Virus-like endoplasmatic structures in lupus
erythematosus and in various other diseases of unknown etiology].Hautarzt.
1973 Mar;24(3):95-105. German.

11.  Aubock L, Kerl H. [Recent micromorphological aspects in lupus
erythematodes]. Arch Dermatol Forsch. 1972;244:536-40. German.

12.  Prevot R. [Current discoveries in the field of x-ray diagnosis of
the small intestine]. Internist (Berl). 1966 May;7(5):223-31. German.