From:
David Netz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Netz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2010 22:16:29 -0500

Thank you for all of your input regarding digestive changes as we get older
that can lead to constipation and other difficulties.

Your responses were encouraging and filled with helpful information.  There
are several threads that I will attempt to summarize.

Many said as we get older, there may be new sensitivities to allergens. The
most likely is lactose intolerance which  seems to increase as we get older.
Others suggested that I may be ingesting some hidden gluten, which is
certainly possible.

It was interesting to learn that white rice can be a cause of constipation,
since it tends to bulk up in the intestines.  Many suggested more fruit and
also ingesting more water, since dehydration can be a cause of constipation.
Some of the fruits included prunes and prune juice, pears, and other similar
high fiber fruits.  Several suggested ground flax seed as an excellent
source of fiber and nutrition.  Others suggested increasing ingestion of
nuts and seeds.  An interesting suggestion was ginger root tea made from
fresh ginger root.  Another was ingesting super dark chocolate in moderation
each day.  Several suggested reducing caffeine intake to see if that helps.

There did not seem to be a simple remedy to stopping burping or digestive
gurgling.  Some suggested various commercial products, but warned about
becoming dependent on laxatives..  Several suggested digestive enzymes or
probiotics.  A new product that was suggested (at least for me) was betaine
hydrochloride.  Several mentioned intestinal fungus or bacterial overgrowth
as a possible cause.  Others mentioned non celiac related medications that
either contained gluten or adversely affected the digestive track.

This is a wonderful plethora of useful information and encouraging comments.
I will be replying individually to some of your notes to gain further
information.

In the meantime, we leave tomorrow on a 4 day choral tour to South Dakota,
North Dakota, and Minnesota.  We will be eating in a lot of church basements
along the way, and I will need to be extremely careful.  We have a lot of
road time on the bus, and there will be lots of snacks that I will
graciously pass on.  We will see how things are going when we return after
midnight on Sunday.

A sincere thank you to all who took the time to respond to my initial query
is certainly in order and deeply heartfelt.

Dave

*******
*******