From:
Jennifer Whitehead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 08:03:07 -0500

Thanks for the responses I received.  They were very helpful, especially
for the recent foot and mouth outbreak, I'll really be careful what I
bring.  Here is the summary:

'I imagine you can get info about allowed items, amounts, and possible
duties by calling any of the French embassies and consulates in the
U.S.  Also check the web: http://www.ambafrance-us.org/ If you click
down in the travel link you'll find a selection for "customs".

But customs is the least of your problem: If you've been reading the
news, you'll know that there are serious current scares for BSE (Mad
Cow Disease) and especially, Foot and Mouth disease.  At present the
disease is causing serious travel restrictions in Britain (where there
are numerous scattered outbreaks).  There has been only a single
outbreak so far in France (and none elsewhere on the continent) but
border immigration of every European country (plus the USA and nearly
everyone else) is under a state of high alert, carefully inspecting
all foods and even non-food articles (e.g. shoes and clothes) that
have recently been near livestock, or even zoos.

In other words, expect for the remainder of this year at least to have
a much higher level of inspection of your baggaage and all the food
items in it, and greater than usual difficulty in bringing in anything
that even resembles an animal product.

I suppose that you will be able to bring in commercial non-animal
items such as breads and grains, but it would be good to discuss with
the French consulate.  Fortunately, awareness of celiac is reputed to
be a lot higher in Europe, so perhaps you can find someone at the
consulate who will at least understand your problem.  It might be
really good if you could get a letter from them to present to the
customs inspectors endorsing your problem and asking that
non-problematic items be allowed to the extent possible.  (It is a
legitimate business of embassies to help and encourage tourism, so
they should be willing to help you in whatever way they can.)  But be
prepaared for unfortunate surprises at immigration, and have a backup
plan for obtaining local food.'

'I have flown into France many times, and am always amazed at how the
customs people are almost invisible.  No one ever wants to look at my bags
or ask me anything. Now that I am celiac I have carted all manner of mixes
and items in ziploc bags....like GFPantry cake mix products.  They simply
cant be bothered.  So, dont worry about it.  The worst could happen is it
would be confiscated, but believe me, you will be able to buy anything
there that you really need.  If you have a friend there that can translate
you wont have any trouble.  Go, enjoy, and eat what you can get!  It'll be
wonderful.'

'About your food, if you are not bringing in any meats, or fresh fruits or
vegetables you shouldn't have any problem.  The French have wonderful
bakeries that the only thing I could buy and eat from them was this meringue
puffy thing that is very sweet.  It's made of egg whites and sugar and may
have almonds on the top.  They also have macaroons, but I didn't find any in
the Normandie area.

Rice is easy to get as well as potatoes.  So if your bread runs out those
are the alternatives.'

'I was in Paris over New Years, and I had no problems whatsoever.  I
always traveled with a card explaining celiac disease in French, and I
was almost always able to find someone who spoke English.  Also, most
health food stores will carry GF food.

French food doesn't have the additives and preservatives of American
food, so you will find that France can be heaven for celiacs.  It is
tough to say no to the baked goods, but there is so much you can eat
that you forget about it.

I had more problems on the plane ride than actually in Paris!

Also, you can bring in any packaged good to France.  As long as it isn't
meat or fresh fruits and veggies you are OK.