From:
bo ranae dittmar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:19:45 -0700

Good Morning all:

        As I am the grandfather to a possible celiac boy -- I wanted to
chime in on this list for a moment.

I am familiar with listservers -- as I myself have Multiple myeloma (a
blood and bone marrow cancer) and from that have learned the ins and outs
and the very valuable lessons of someone who has been there and done that
-- and then gone on to inform me and others about such.

        (Oh first let me tell all -- to find "Celiac.com" do not leave
off the final "c" on that address.  Celia has a pretty nasty porno site
there.)

        But now to my grandson:  Just a little one of 8 month old.  Pale
and not growing in weight as he should have been.  I had noticed this two
or more month ago.  Told my daughter: get him checked, find out if there
is a problem.  He looks anemic -- though he has been maturing ok -- he
did not gain the weight that involves the "baby fat" look.  When the
doctor dropped the name of Celiac disease to my daughter -- we went to
the net and found you here.

        So we will be pouring over the FAQ list and also get familiar
with all the symptoms.

Biggest thing would be to find out what is next for such a little one.
We live in Salt Lake City and have a wonderful children hospital -- both
the Shriners and a University one.  Would it be wiser to go right up and
ask for the things that they might have available to know about?
Or should we be getting what we can from his doctor and then be talking
here with you folks?

Pediatricians know lots of things. My adopted son is a doctor and is
married to a pediatrician.

They live in Texas -- and I have burned the phone lines last night -- but
she felt that it is too hard to get much of a dx over the phone.  So when
they come to visit in a couple of weeks we'll get more info from them.
In the meantime the info you can provide will be appreciated and then of
course it is a matter of learning all about this thing.  Having an
"uncurable caner" myself I know how much help my listserv has been to me.
 It provided a hell of a lot more then the local Hem/Onc did.  I actually
achieved a temporary remission because of the list information that would
otherwise not have been applied in my case.  I also would have had a Stem
Cell transplant at a cost of $200,000 first - without trying to see if
remission would be possible without such. (So it can not be in the best
interest to leave it up to the doctor only.)

So not to be overly long winded. Let me introduce myself.  As Bo Dittmar
from Utah with a good looking 8 month old grandson with possible gf --
testing  and questions to follow.

Take care;  from Bo