From:
Bev Lieven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 19:07:45 EDT

Our favorite Easter eggs are rust colored...Just add  the dry outer skins
from your yellow onions to the water when you boil the eggs.  Depending how
many onion skins you have, eggs range from golden to rust.  My husband's
family has been dying eggs this way since before I met him over 30 years ago.
Red onion skins don't seem to work as well & are a blue/purple.

Now since my kids are no long here to dye the eggs, we just opt for rust
colored onion eggs and pretty blue ones.  (I've done my time as a mom & eaten
more than my share of ugly eggs.)

McCormick-Schilling had a recipe card in the grocery stores last spring on
how to mix food coloring to make a couple dozen colors. You might want to
watch for it this year again.

Bev in Milwaukee