From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 20:47:00 -0700

Guais, I've obviously stirred quite a controversial discussion with my
post about FMS and celiac disease.  I want to make it perfectly clear
that I never, NEVER said that celiac disease & FMS are the same disease
and that the gluten free diet is the cure for FMS.  Like I said in my
original post, I did get relief from my muscle aches & pains with guai.
BUT, I didn't get relief from the fatigue, brain fog & depression until I
found out I was celiac & started the strict gluten free diet.  I am
personally acquainted with celiacs who also have fibromyalgia even though
they have been on the gluten free diet for years.  BUT, I am also
personaly acquainted with a few celiacs whose "fibromyalgia" symptoms
completely disappeared when they began the gluten free diet.  This second
group was obviously misdiagnosed.  Some people have FM.  Some people have
celiac.  Some people have both.  I believe there are quite a few who are
misdiagnosed with FMS who may actually have celiac disease.  The symptoms
are very similar & CD can make your whole darn body hurt just like FM.
        U.S. doctors rarely diagnose with celiac disease.  Even though it's been
proven that it occurs at a rate greater than one in 200, only about one
in 4,000 are diagnosed in the U.S.  Europe, Australia & Argentina are
decades ahead of the U.S. in researching & diagnosing celiac disease.
The Italian gov't recognises it as a major public health problem & has a
goal to screen all 7 year olds for CD.  In Sweden, it's considered a
disability & the sufferer is given compensation.  Also, in Helsinki, you
can go into Burger King & order a gluten free hamburger.
        My intent in posting my experience is to prompt those who have never
been screened for celiac to do so.    Untreated celiac disease has grave
consequences & shouldn't be overlooked in the rule/out for fibromyalgia.
~Valerie

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.