From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 1995 09:43:41 EDT

Chaz Schlindwein wrote:

> Has it been decided whether buckwheat, millet, and quinoa
> are okay or not?

All three of these grains fall into a grey area here on this list.
We have a grain expert that has looked into the taxonomy of all
three.  Based on the taxonomy, he believes that all three should
be safe for celiacs.  On the other hand, several people have
anecdotal evidence to suggest that these grains are not safe.  In
some cases, the problem could have been cross-contamination with
other grains during processing, but in a least a few cases people
have claimed that even with no cross-contamination one or more of
these grains have given them trouble.  Of course, that trouble might
be an allergy rather than a gluten reaction.

To further muddy the waters, some celiac organizations list these as
safe, while others place them on the forbidden list.

I'd suggest that you go through the archives and read the previous
postings on these three grains, and then reach your own decision as
to whether or not you can have these grains.  For more information
on how to do this, read the updated welcome message that was just
posted to the list.

--- Jim Lyles, [log in to unmask] ---
--------- Holly, Michigan, USA --------