From:
Jane Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 12:54:31 AST

Regarding soy:

Has anyone had this happen.  I've had tofu before, probably last time
I had it was in the summer, and I never  had any problem with it,
I've also had food with soy lecitin in it with no problem.  However,
I had some soy  dairy drink the other day, and I put it on my cereal
and within minutes I had a strange reaction, the same reaction I get
when  I ate apples or grapes or peaches, hazelnuts  etc. which I
assumed I was allergic to and obviously don't eat them, although I
can eat apples and peaches and a few other things cooked, the
insides of my ears get really itch, and my throat gets a little
tight, and lips swell.  I'm contemplating buying soy protein powder
because it helps they think in diminishing the risk of breast cancer.
 It is starting to concern me because it seems everything they tell
you to eat to prevent this, we celiacs can't eat, grains, whole
wheat, etc.  I try to eat high fibre and healthy, but it seems I'm
getting strange reactions to more and more foods.  Does anyone know
if this is a common celiac occurance?  The only other ingredient in
the soy drink was a  strange  seaweed that started with K,
can't remember it right now, and I think brown rice.  I suppose I
could be allergic to the seaweed.  Any similar experiences please let
me know.  Thanks.

Jane
Nova Scotia
Canada