From:
Kari Neitzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 15:15:00 EST

Thank you to everyone who supplied me with a wealth of information on the
gluten-free status of the following fiber supplements: Citrucel, Metamucil,
and Fiber Con.

The overwhelming majority of you have discovered, by calling the
manufacturers of these products or from reading published gluten-free lists,
the following information:

Citrucel (Regular & Sugar Free) is NOT gluten-free.  One person verified this
information on 11/1/99.  Almost everyone that responded mentioned that they
discovered that it is NOT gluten-free and have experienced some problems with
it since there are trace amounts of gluten in the product.  This has been
true with my situation, as this explains why I decided to ask about the
status of the product.

Metamucil is gluten-free.  The debate continues since one person responded
that they verified on 10/11/99 that all versions are gluten-free, however,
two or three other people agreed that all version are gluten-free EXCEPT the
fiber wafer product is NOT gluten-free.  One person mentioned that he/she
uses the Metamucil in the green and white bottle and has had great success
with this.  In addition, the majority of respondents seemed to mention using
this product and did not report having any problems with Metamucil.

Fiber Con appears to be gluten-free, at least the Walgreen's Equate version
of it and perhaps the Target and Walmart versions as well.  The debate
continues here as well since several people have conflicting information of
the gluten-free status.  At least one person discovered (either from a
gluten-free food list or by calling the manufacturer) that Fiber Con itself
is NOT gluten-free whereas the Walgreen's version is gluten-free.  This
person is now using the Walgreen's version and is tolerating it.  On the
other hand, another person believes that Fiber Con is gluten-free as well as
the versions of Walgreen's, Target, and Walmart.

Another person suggested trying a product called Senekot S. since it is also
gluten-free and all natural.

I hope the summary of this information helps everyone and attempts to clear
up any confusion with these three fiber supplements.  At times, the differing
information can be overwhelming and confusing.  I hope to call the
manufacturers on my own as well so if I should discover any additional
information not reported here, I'll be sure to post another updated message.
However, it looks like I'll be picking up a bottle of Metamucil in the near
future.  Thank you again to everyone's feedback, as it was really helpful.

Kari