From:
Jane Herman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 12:25:28 -0400

Thanks to all of you who were so helpful to me regarding this trip.  I am
exhausted but did manage to eat and am grateful for that.  I took bread and
some chicken and was able to make some sandwiches to eat on the plane.  I
also brought some cereal and soy milk and so was able to have breakfast the
next morning.  After that things got a little difficult!  After the funeral
we all went back to the family's house and everyone ate lunch, but there
was nothing at all that could be considered safe for me to eat (the
combination of gluten and casein intolerance was really a disaster
there...even the taco chips were nacho cheese flavored).  Later in the
afternoon, my husband and I were able to get away a little bit and search
for some food for me, but were unable to find some of the restaurants that
people mentioned (unfortunately, everything looked so much alike to us that
we just kept getting lost).  We finally ended up in a seafood restaurant
where they steamed some mussels for me and they were quite good.  Later in
the evening we went to a very expensive restaurant in Phoenix where they
specially prepared everything for me.  It was all very good and the
restaurant was lovely, but I would have enjoyed it a whole lot more if I
hadn't been quite so tired, emotionally drained and jet lagged.  (the
restaurant was "Vincent's" on Camelback and 40th.)On Sunday we had more
time and so were able to find a restaurant for breakfast where they made me
huevos rancheros without cheese or sour cream.  It was quite good (the
restaurant was called The Good Egg")  and  later in the day went to the
Whole Foods on Rural and Baseline which was just fantastic.  Our nearest
supermarket at home is Fresh Fields, which is also Whole Foods, but has
nothing compared to this one.  I bought some stuff to eat on the plane and
a few mixes to bring home to try (so that I don't have to pay shipping to
try them out).  It was truly a wonderful experience to see so much that was
gluten free in a store. Those of you who live near this store are truly
fortunate!!

Anyway thanks to all of you, I was never in any danger of starving and my
husband only had to put up with a little bit of food related crankiness
Saturday afternoon.

Thanks again.

Jane