From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:40:40 -0700

Hi All--

I began trying to respond to all who wrote, but quickly became a bit overwhelmed by the number of responses. Thanks so much to all of you - all of your information was welcomed and very important. To those of you who asked for a summary, please read all of the replies as a few note that some wraps contain wheat. Don't want any upset tummies! One brand seems to be the standard. Since the one Asian grocery here didn't seem to be terribly anxious to help me, I will probably search Publix and Kroger first, then if I can't find them, ask one of them to try to order them rather than going through my health food store.

Thanks, again, to you all! What an awesome, helpful group of people we have here!

Cheers,
Ayn
_____
The brand I use is:

Banh Trang (Spring Rolls Skin) -- product of Vietnam. One type has tapioca added, the other does not.  Both work well; the type w/ tapioca is stickier.

Packed for Anhing Corp., Los Angeles, CA
FAX: 323-221-7420
_____
They are usually in the Vietnamese or Thai section grocers. The brand I have is actuallu a product of Thailand. They are called "Banh Trang" spring roll wrappers. They are  distributed by Walong Manufacturing Inc., Buena Park, CA

I spent hours roaming around a Korean grocery store looking for Vietnamese or Thai food. Of course, I couldn't read or understand Korean. Then I remembered that Vietnamese uses the same alphabet that we do -- not Asian characters -- so then my search was made easier.
_____
You can get rice wrappers for spring rolls from a website called Ariana's Caravan.  Put that into Google and it will pop up.  They are dry and very thin and stiff; you need to run one under running water and lay it on a clean plate to let it soften.  They work well for egg rolls but
they are too thin to use for tortillas or sandwich wraps. They are imported so I expect gluten contamination is not an issue.
_____
many regular grocery stores now have the rice wrappers. Try yoru local supermarket.
_____
I went to Albertsons tonight & found 100% tapioca wraps.  They are Banh Trang brand, called "Spring Roll Skin,"  and made in Vietnam.  I've used this brand before & I really like them.  I bought a package for $2.49. It doesn't say how many are in the package.  But I remember using it before & one package went a long, long way (at least two dozen).
_____
The problem might be that you are looking in the wrong part of the store.  What you are probably looking for are called rice sheets. They are used to make thai spring rolls. They come dry like noodles and are packaged in clear plastic rounds about 1/2 inch thick.  To use, you rinse them under water for a few seconds to soften.

Read ingredients...there are some that contain both rice and wheat.  There also also ones made from tapioca & sesame seeds.  The best use I've round for those is to rince in water and then lay over a bowl in the microwave & heat until big & puffy (like a cracker).... Add a bit of salt or sugar while wet.

I've seen articles that talk about Philipine lumpia wrappers of rice that are soft & would be found in the refrigerated section but have never seen them at the stores in our area. (Milwaukee)
_____
another thing- is there a vietnamese or thai restaurant in town?  Maybe you could order with them?
_____
I did a Google search. The brand I have seen and used is "Banh Trang (accent above the A's) Spring Rolls Skin" from Vietnam. They are available at many Asian groceries. You can order them from www.quickspice.com Also, I saw another brand at www.importfood.com, but I could not read the label." _____ Island" is the brand, illegible from the photo. All the best!
_____
Try Asian Markets or Oriental Market, short of that try to find a Vietnamese Place/restaurant, most of their food is naturally gluten free, ask where they get their rice paper wraps.
_____
I don't know if you have one in the area -- but we get our rice paper from the local Asian grocer.  Rice paper comes mostly from Thailand and Vietnam, but even Korean and Chinese stores usually carry it.  But make sure to read the label.  Most are rice-based, but some contain wheat (or are all flour) because wheat fries better: it's more crispy.

I've never seen rice paper in non-Asian stores.