From:
Laura Horvath <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Horvath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 02:38:41 -0500

Thanks to everyone that gave me a ton of great info for our trip to
Hawaii....

The most recommended spot was an organic food store called 'Down to Earth'
near the airport...I contacted them via email (go to their website
downtoearth.org) and gave them a list of common foods...they replied back
to me within a few hours and told me what they carry and even offered to
special order stuff they didn't...VERY HELPFUL so I hope many of you visit
this store on future trips...

We leave this week....Aloha!
1.  Don't ever trust the airline to have your special meal.  Things
happen.  There will be little at the Hawaii airports you can eat.  Don't
know if you are flying direct or going through Oahu.
2.  Leaving the airport and heading west (the typical traveler will go
this way) there will be a Down To Earth health food store on your right.
Ok selection from what I remember, though I can't tell you brands.
There is another Down to Earth, though smaller, in Lahaina.  We ate at
Kimo's restaurant there.  The Lahaina Fish Market restaurant was rude and
said they could not serve us, so we went a few doors down to Kimos and
they did nicely for us 2 years ago.
Safeway in Lahaina (along the west coast on up towards Kalapana(?)  It's
been two years since we went there - lived in Pearl Harbor on Oahu for 3
years.  It was great, but Hawaiian cooking takes a lot of Asian influence,
and Soy sauce, Teryaki and Shoyu (japanese soy sauce ) ALL have gluten in
them, so please be careful.  There is an Outback north of Lahaina, I guess
that is Kapapana as well.  We did the condo thing also.
Enjoy!
We go to maui every year with my 11 year old celiac daughter.  For the
last 6 years gluten free.  Do not fret.  We fly United every year!  For
the last couple of years they eliminated the GF menu, but before that we
never had a problem.   We usually take one carry on with all gluten free
food.  We have never been asked to open it or anything.  You can take it
as an extra carry on because of the special needs diet.  I packed GF
crackers, snacks, cookies, donuts, cereal, pasta etc. etc. and we would
always make sure to have a refrigerator or freezer when we got there to
store things.
Second.....There is a Safeway store in Lahaina on the main highway.  I
think they carry GF pasta.  If you don't want to take it with you, I would
call them ahead and see if they have it. There is also a complete list for
GF foods at Safeway if you search the archives on this forum.  There is
also a Down To Earth Natural Foods store in Kahului and I think Lahaina.
There is a nice restaurant called "Roy's" in Kahana which is right next to
Kapalua (This is more of an adult restaurant though).  They are very
accomodating with special diets.  Just ask.  Also there is an Italian
restaurant in Lahaina called "Penne Pasta".  It is VERY casual, but they
have gluten free noodles on the menu.  Maui Tacos in Napili is a favorite
and there is also a McDonald's in Kahana.  These are all really close to
Kapalua.
Sounds like a great trip, however, you will feel more secure if you have
gf food with you at all times - especially on the long plane ride to
Hawaii.  You can't always know that they will have a gf meal and that is a
long, long trip (we have done it once).
When I travel I take gf food in my carry-on bag - fruit, Ener-G-Granola
bars or some gf bars, nuts, sandwich, baked chicken cut-up,  Frito chips,
etc. (even boiled eggs). I put them in small zip-lock bags and also put
some in my luggage.
I certainly would take some gf bread, pasta enough to get you by until you
find health food stores on the island.  Pack it in your luggage and it is
safe.
As far as dining out, most all the restaurants have delicious fish and
vegetables which you can get gf and you don't have to worry about eating
gf dinner.  You can have salads or omelet's for lunch anyplace.
Whenever I traveI I also take a small crushable plastic cooler with me in
my luggage.  When I get to my destination I fill it with ice and always
have refrigeration - for day trips in the car, etc.  Great to bring your
own bottled water also for convenience.
Remember any grocery food store has yogurt, fruit, rice cakes, cheese,
etc., so you will make out OK, but those extra Ener-G-Food Breakfast Bars
or the new Glutino Breakfast Bars will be something you will be glad you
brought with you.
I traveled through Europe by car, and used the cheese/crackers, fruit that
I bought along the way for a delicious "impromptu" lunch where I could
stop at any time in any location and have my own gf meal.   My husband
could always find a take-out sandwich somewhere and loved the flexibility
it gave us not to have to worry about a gf meal for me.  We stopped in
some of the most beautiful locations with fond memories of these lunches!
Have fun.
While I don't know much about the GF choices on Maui, I do have a
suggestion
for you regarding food.  I pack a suitcase of food to take along anyway.
Food is very expensive in Hawaii and if you can take some of your staples,
you will save some money and time.  After you eat all the food, you have
room to take home your souvenirs.
I pack coffee and filters, cereals, and Hamburger helpers (before going
GF),
pastas, etc.  Also, a little tub of laundry soap if you will have a
washer/dryer in your condo.
Now, I would add any of the GF staples that I need to have on hand, pasta,
crackers, etc.  You won't regret it.
We bought our perishibles at a Safeway near La Haina (spelling??)
And, if going to Hana, pack some dramamine (check GF status).
We had a very successful trip to Maui last spring-- it was our first big
trip since going gf.  We went with our two kids, then ages 6 and 8, and my
parents.
We stayed at the Kahana Sunset and would recommend it to anybody.  They
have 2-bedroom units that would most likely suit your needs.
When we got into Maui, we stopped at Costco and picked up a few things
like pork roast, Foster Farms chicken breasts, and Delimex Chicken
tacquitos.  This might not me necessary for you, though, since there will
be just four of you and your kids are very young.  The rest of our
shopping we did at Safeway in Lahaina.  There is also a health food store
in Lahaina (I think it's called Down to Earth) that has things like
Tinkyada pasta, Envirokids cereal & snack bars, gf bread in the freezer
(don't remember what kind, 'cause we brought our own).   Just a note of
experience, be sure to buy some aluminum foil.  The pans you'll find in
your condo will be very well used and we were more comfortable lining some
of them with foil.  Get the heavy duty stuff so you can use it on the
barbeques as well.  We also bought some baggies for leftover storage,
since a lot of the food storage containers had seen better days as well.
One thing that helped on our trip back was barbequeing up some extra
chicken early in the week, slicing it into strips, and freezing it in
serving sizes in baggies.  Then when it was time to leave, we put the
frozen chicken into our travel soft-side cooler.  When we were ready to
eat dinner the chicken was thawed enough to eat.  Another note about
travel out of Hawaii-- don't pack fresh fruits or veggies!  There's an
agricultural check point and they won't let those things through.  Pack
the snack sized containers of applesauce and fruit cups instead.  We also
travel with hard-boiled eggs and yogurt for the next morning in the hotel
room.
The only time we ate out was at Outback, which is in Kahana I believe.
It's not far from Kapalua, though.
If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.  Hope you have a wonderful
trip!