Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 2009 23:08:19 -0500

My intention is not to start a controversy or offend anyone, but to relate a
personal experience that I'm quite certain affects more gluten intolerant /
celiac patients than we would like to acknowledge. We have become quite a
formidable force in the food manufacturing business and it will eventually
affect the economy - not to mention our own finances. I'm hoping that my
post will spark thoughts from all of us about how we might be able to help
our gluten intolerant community in tough times and the future.

I lost my job in April this year and, consequently, my health insurance.
Aside from the gluten intolerance, which is severe, I suffer from several
other medical issues (as most of us do). I applied for food stamps in August
and my interview to evaluate my qualifications lasted approximately ten
minutes - I was denied. Because I am drawing the maximum unemployment, I
don't qualify because I make too much (calculated at $5.17 per hour). None
of my medical expenses were considered because I'm not 60 years old, but I
had two hospitalizations and a heart procedure after I lost my insurance. I
have amazing physicians who have gone out of their way to either cut their
charges or conveniently 'overlooked' billing me altogether. Regardless, my
financial medical obligations are significant.

Whatever any of us think about the health insurance/health care debate, this
seems to be a good time for someone to draw attention to the fact that food
is our medicine...and to my knowledge, the GF diet won't be covered by
insurance. It makes sense to me that this issue needs to be brought to our
government's attention now - either by individual communications to our
representatives or via our professional organizations.

Two countries that I'm aware of allow subsidies to those requiring a GF
diet. I don't have an opinion whether or not that would be a workable
solution here. I do know that trying to itemize GF food on tax returns is
not only nearly impossible for most of us, but it also doesn't address an
immediate need to be able to afford GF food on a day-to-day basis, not just
when we get tax refunds.

I live very inexpensively, so I'm sure I will get through this snag in my
current situation. I have no desire for anyone to feel sorry for me - I
would rather all of us think about what we can do as a gluten
intolerant/celiac population to change our situation for the future. No
other disease uses food as the only medication. Doesn't it seem possible
that we should be able to fight for ourselves? Yes, we can all do without
bread, biscuits, pasta, beer, sauces, gravies, dressings, but there's a
matter of quality of life involved in this issue.

I hope I've raised some awareness that this is a serious matter for all of
us - not that many of us haven't already thought about it. I don't think any
of us wants a handout, but if food is our treatment for gluten intolerance
like chemotherapy is treatment for cancer, it seems reasonable that we
should be afforded assistance in keeping ourselves alive and healthy.

Just my thoughts... ~~Ayn in Alabama