From:
V. Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 20:15:28 -0500

This is long.  If you read it and email me with your ideas,
you are a saint.

I am wondering if anyone on our email list can
help me figure this out.  I will be seeing a rheumatologist
next week....but that doesn't mean he'll know what this
is.  As we all know, doctors aren't necessarily knowledgeable:

I am 53 and was just diagnose with Celiac Sprue one year
ago, after years of misdiagnosis (like most of us).

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 8 years ago, though
I think I've had symptoms of that 30 years.  Just didn't know
what it was.

Having consumed gluten for 52 years before diagnosis, I could
have other auto immune problems.  The Fibromyalgia could
also be another disorder...who knows?

Here's what I'm going through:
I am very light sensitive and glare sensitive, which is common
with Fibromyalgia.  I lost my job 9 months ago when the office
closed down.  It had fluorescent lights, but they had a cover.
After sitting there all day I noticed I would get a little blotchiness
(reddish & blotchy) of the palms (which were down, facing the
computer keyboard), redness of the eyes, and blotchy neck &
a little on the nose (Poikloderma of the neck and Rosacea of the
nose - more prone on the neck) - dilated blood vessels.

I started a new job a few weeks ago.  It is at a local university,
and both in the office and throughout the university, the lights
are unshielded - i.e. uncovered - extremely intense, large
fluorescent light fixtures (lots of glare and bright light).

I seem to be reacting to these. After an hour or two my eyes are
blood red and my neck and nose are aggravated, my palms turn
very blotchy/reddish.  Much worse than at my former job.  My
palms tingle, especially the left hand, and my eyes become extremely
dry.  This gets worse with duration, as the day progresses.

Is this Fibromyalgia, or could it mean I actually have Sjogren's or
Lupus?  Should I be in that work environment?

Your ideas are welcome.

I will be out of town Sat/Sun and will read the responses Monday
evening.  Thanks for the help!

Vicki