From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 1995 07:39:09 -0600

I adapted the recipe I found on an old box of Shirriff Lemon Pie Filling and
got good results.  The only thing I found was that the crust probably could
have used more butter or adhesive, it could be that I didn't let it cool
long enough, it looked to good.  The next day the crust was much firmer.

Lemon Chiffon Pie
-----------------

2 cups GF Corn flakes crushed (I used Natures Path - Honey'd Cornflakes**)
   (makes approximately 1 cup crushed, could use more for a thicker crust)
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup melted butter/margarine

Shirrif Lemon Pie filling
1/3 cup cold water
2 eggs yolks (save the whites)
2 cups boiling water
1 tbsp butter

2 egg whites
2 tbsp sugar

1.  Combine the crushed cereal with pecans, and 2 tbsp sugar.  Stir in
melted butter. Set aside 2 tbsp for garnishing finished pie and press
remaining mixture evenly around side and base of a 9" pie plate.

2.  Bake at 400F (200C) for 5-6 minutes.  Chill.

3.  Prepare pie filling according to package.  Let cool 10 minutes stirring
occasionally.

4.  Meanwhile beat egg whites until soft peaks form, beat in 2 tbsp sugar
until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold eggs into pie filling.

5.  Spoon into pie shell and garnish with reserved crumbs.  Chill 2-3 hrs
before serving.

ps.  I've also just made plain lemon meringue pie with this crust and it
tastes wonderful.  I have never been a pie pastry person and even without
being celiac I wish I had known about this crust years ago.

The kids thought the lemon was a bit tart for them so next time I think I
will try a banana cream pie with this crust.

Karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada