From:
kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 09:51:50 -0700

Dear Friends,

I received a few replies this morning already and they are so helpful, I am sending them on to the celiac list as this may be helpful to other celiacs. I especially feel that I shouldn't go back on gluten for more tests...

This morning I might even be able to give up coffee! I started drinking it 2 years ago because I was so tired feeling... and that is starting to change, too. I like coffee (mocha actually), but I don't think I shoud have it every day because there has been bone loss....

This is all new to me, and I am so thankful for your help.

Mary K.
California

1.) Dear Mary:
Incontinence is one of the very first signs of accidental gluten ingestion
for me.  It was a terrible problem in my childhood - and I do mean
terrible - and now I know why.  It must be some form of neurological reaction....
(Female)

2) I do not lose control of my bladder, but do need to empty it much more
frequently when I have consumed gluten and for a few days afterwards. I
assume this is because my intestines are swollen, (which is my typical
gluten reaction - incredible bloating) thus taking up more space and putting
pressure on my bladder
(female)

3) Yep, dairy does it for me. Increases urinary frequency by a factor of four.
I mentioned this on the list about five years  ago and several others said
they had the same but didn't know anyone else did. I almost had a minor
prostate operation before I found out it was the  dairy.

If cheese does it for you, you're obviously intolerant to  casein as  well
as  lactose, but then  you  probably already knew that. -

4) HI,

Gluten destroys the nervous system if you are sensitive. I didn't have
incontinence but I am certain that it could happen. I had the opposite. I
couldn't pee unless I laid down. My bladder wouldn't fill unless I laid down
first. I had all kinds of tests and all I would get was those looks like
this lady is a little bent. Since going gluten free I don't have the problem
to that degree but believe that slips do affect my abililty to urinate
normally.

Please don't assume that you don't have Celiac if your tests come back
negative. The tests are very bad. The doctors don't know what they're doing.
Fatigue was the biggest symptom I had my entire life and it affected
everything I tried to do even as a child. It makes me sad to hear about your
daughter and her fatique. Anemia may also be involved here. I was sixty when
I was diagnosed. It was a long hard tired road to get there and I am feeling
great for the first time in my life.

Please consider using Dr. Kenneth Fine's tests for Celiac and other food
sensitivities. And no I wouldn't even consider going back on gluten to be
retested by the other doctors. That is ridiculous. It is almost like taking
poison to see if it kills you. Also, it would be better to use Fine's tests
because it then will not be on your or your daughter's medical records which
will prevent her and you obtaining insurance in the future (medical, life,
disability, longterm etc.)

All the Best Wishes,
Female

5) Hi,
I would suggest you to go to this other exellent site:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages
There are good and knowledgeable people there to answer your questions, and Abigail's gf food list.
Moreover, I have voluntarily posted thousands of GF recipes.
Good luck,
Mireille