From:
Nancy Kloberdanz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:49:04 EST

EDUCATIONAL LOBBYING - MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Why do we do this? AWARENESS and FUNDING to request increased research and
education dollars. Our message is 2-fold - first we represent the coalitions
- Digestive Disease National Coalition (DDNC)  and National Institute of
Arthritis and Musculosceletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS). Second - we have the
opportunity to explain why the increase funding is important to our cause -
celiac disease and dermatitis herpetiformis.

How do things work that day? DDNC and NIAMS coordinate all support
groups attending the assault on the hill. They do a briefing in the
morning to explain what we are asking for as a coalition and have
packets we take to the congress people we visit. They have pre-arranged
meetings with congress people from our areas, but if there are several
people from one area,they will spread them out to represent many areas
of the country.  Visits to the hill start before lunch; we often will
break for lunch and then finish after lunch with the visits, and end the
day with a debriefing session. Visits are brief - 10 to 15 minutes each,
so key points have to be stressed early.

What information do we give them? The rule here is: 'key information'. The
people readying this information will ready it quickly. So we will have a
fact sheet that has important facts and contact information. We are asked to
limit our information to 1-2 pages.

Who can do this? Anyone! Kids make a lasting impression, especially if they
do some of the talking. Adults of all ages, especially if you have the
disease or have a family member with the disease.

Do I have to be a professional or have expertise? No! You simply have to be
impassioned about the cause you are speaking about.

What are the days we are lobbying? March 19th we will lobby with the
Digestive Disease National Coalition (DDNC). March 27th we lobby with
Coalition of Patient Advocates for Skin Disease Research (CPASDR), as part of
NIAMS.

If you want to help spread the word, contact Cynthia at the Gluten
Intolerance Group at [log in to unmask] Educational lobbying helps us all.

Submitted by:

Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG)
15110 10th Ave SW, Suite A
Seattle, WA 98166-1820
Telephone:  206-246-6652
Fax: 206-246-6531
Website:    www.gluten.net
Email:        [log in to unmask]
Executive Director: Cynthia Kupper, C.R.D.

Nancy
Seattle, WA
USA