From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 18:48:22 -0800

Dear List Mates,

A number of us on the San Francisco mid-Peninsula get together, generally
monthly, for a pot-luck. Here are three recipes that worked out well and
disappeared quickly during our most recent brunch.

   - GF Orange Cake: Here is a recipe straight out of the newspaper,
   modified to be gluten-free and then zipped up because it was a little dull:
   http://home.comcast.net/~vhdolcourt/gfbaking/desserts/orange_cake.html<http://home.comcast.net/%7Evhdolcourt/gfbaking/desserts/orange_cake.html>or
   http://tinyurl.com/33canx. The version we served was without
   "official" frosting but the cake was split in half and the area between the
   two layers was spread with a mixture of blackberry and blueberry preserves.
   The top had a thin layer of peach-raisin preservers. You can let your
   imagination run wild!
   - Since some of our members have issues with soy, dairy and eggs, it
   was a bit of a challenge to come up a single recipe that tasted good and
   could be made to accommodate the group of 25 brunchers. A modification to
   the following recipe, previously posted on our Gluten Free Baking website,
   did the trick:
   http://home.comcast.net/~vhdolcourt/gfbaking/quick_breads_and_pancakes/ocqb_pancakes.html<http://home.comcast.net/%7Evhdolcourt/gfbaking/quick_breads_and_pancakes/ocqb_pancakes.html>or
   http://tinyurl.com/2s4jty. The modification, using applesauce, worked
   extremely well. The modified pancake recipe is different than the original,
   but it is wholly good in its own right.
   - If you have *The Best-ever Wheat and Gluten-Free Baking Book* by
   Mary Ann and Mace Wenniger, you might want to try the following modification
   to "Basic Pancakes" on page 83. Since one of our members can't eat corn, I
   substituted sorghum for the cornmeal. But I thought the recipe looked kind
   of Wonder Bread-y with 2/3 of the flour being cornstarch and tapioca starch.
   So I left out 2 Tablespoons of each and substituted in 2 Tablespoons of
   Millet flour, 2 Tablespoons of Bob's Red Mill Garbanzo-Fava flour and 1
   Tablespoon of golden flaxseed meal. The recipe is pretty rich with two eggs
   and 3 Tablespoons of melted butter, so I left out the butter and one egg.
   I've made the recipe before with and without the yogurt, and I think
   omitting it improves the pancakes. These, too, disappeared quickly. The
   plain pancakes were an interesting contrast to the ones above, and I figured
   that soy, dairy and egg-free pancakes would be a bit too health-foody for
   some of our guests that could eat either. Must have been the crowd, because
   people were taking both, even the kids. Go figure!

Please let me know your changes to the recipes. We are always looking for
improvements.

Vic-Sunnyvale, CA

*******
*******