From:
Melinda Freckleton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melinda Freckleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2013 08:21:07 -0500

Hello all,

Many thanks to all who replied to my request for info on this hotel!!  Extra thanks to the nice person with industry contacts who offered to try to reach the chef, and to the local CSA chapter who sent a long list of local restaurants (I will paste them below if space allows.)  I was there for a conference, the kind that keeps you over scheduled and makes it hard to leave!  The advance information was positive with 5 people writing from this list with good experiences, and the hotel website showing GF options on many of the restaurants. Online reviews were wildly inconsistent, some very positive and many very negative. I was traveling with another GF colleague, she also needs egg free, and I prefer vegetarian, so we were a challenging pair.

Knowing time would be short, we brought our own breakfast food. The lunches organized for the conference were disappointing.  We could eat salads, potato chips and fruit.  Good thing we brought protein bars!  One day we had a business lunch in the Cascades restaurant, it was super!  My friend had a gorgeous shrimp salad and I had a breakfast plate that included trout, eggs and hash browns--with a delightful surprise of GF white toast!  Yum!  Another day I was free for dinner with a friend, we were disappointed to find the Mexican restaurant closed, and ended up back at Cascades.  I tried the shrimp salad myself that time--it was fantastic!  And they brought GF bread to the table before dinner, not just for me, but the table bread was GF!  My friend was not very familiar with GF diet and thought it was just like normal bread!  Our other dinners were off site and catered by companies we cannot name, they were adequate, but not exciting.  That night my traveling companion had a burger at Stax, which even came with the option of a GF bun. she watches carbs and turned it down, but gave the plain burger good marks.  On the way out I tried the GF pizza at the hotel pizzeria, it was my second favorite restaurant pizza in 10 years of GF eating! It had eggs in it, so my colleague did not try it.

Overall, it was a good trip for food, and an excellent conference.  I would give this hotel good marks for food, especially if they, or the conference organizers made a little more effort on the big group lunches!

Melinda Freckleton, DVM
Catlett, VA

Sent from my iPad

List provided from the local CSA:
OPRYLAND HOTEL
www.oprylandhotels.com , 2800 Opryland Drive, Nashville, TN  37214
Cascades American Café, Cascades Atrium, 615-871-6848
Old Hickory Steakhouse, Delta Atrium, 615-871-6848
Ristorante Volare, Garden Conservatory, 615-871-6848

DOWNTOWN/THE GULCH
Cantina Laredo (GF),  www.cantinalaredo.com,   592  12th Ave South,
Nashville, TN 37203  615-259-9282
*Demo’s, www.demosrestaurants.com, 300 Commerce Street North, Nashville, TN
37201   615-256-4655
Joe’s Crab Shack, www.joescrabshack.com,  123  2nd Avenue South, Nashville,
TN  37201   615-242-2722
Merchant’s Rest., www.merchantsrestaurants.com, 401 Broadway, Nashville, TN
37203,  615-254-1892
Old Spaghetti Factory (GF), www.osf.com, 160 North 2nd Avenue, Nashville, TN
37201, 615-254-9010
Sole Mio (GF), www.solemionash.com , 311  3rd Ave S, Nashville, TN  37201,
615-256-4013
The Melting Pot (GF), www.meltingpot.com , 166  2nd Ave North, Nashville, TN
37201, 615-742-4970
The Standard at the Smith House, www.thestandardnashville.com , 167 Rosa L.
Parks Blvd (8th Ave N), Nashville, TN  37203, 615-254-1277
Urban Flats (The Icon),  www.urbanflats.net , 610  12th Ave South,
Nashville, TN  37203, 615-254-0454
Watermark, www.watermark-restaurant.com , 507  12th Ave South, Nashville, TN
37203, 615-254-2000