From:
elizabeth j powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 10:54:44 -0700

Hello all, i'm 30 weeks pregnant, and just had my second ultrasound
yesterday. in it they discovered that the baby, while the proper size for
his gestational age, is a lot thinner than they like. i wasn't too
concerned about this until the tech told me i was going to need to have a
series of ultrasounds and stress tests over the next four weeks to ensure
he is gaining weight. when i mentioned i have smaller babies she said
that if i'm not careful this baby won't make 6 lbs at birth. (this is the
first baby i've had since i was diagnosed with celiac)

i am certain this is due to my celiac condition. not only does it limit
the foods i can consume, but also it interferes with absorption of the
nutrients both myself and my baby need. i know that he's otherwise
healthy, no ill baby can kick the way he does, and his heartbeat is
strong and regular. however, i'm at a loss as to what foods i can consume
that are high in protein which will bring on an increase in weight.

i can eat soys and corn, milk is okay, but i'm restricted in my meat
intake as it's so hard to digest. is there anyone with a problem relating
to this, where they can't seem to get the protein they need? also, i know
of other pregnant women on this list, i sure would like to give them a
heads-up so they can start early and address this issue so it doesn't
become a problem later on in their pregnancy.

i am taking twin labs prenatal supplements as well.

any suggestions/advice would be greatfully appreciated at this point, and
i will post responses.

thanks

elizabeth powell