From:
rdomyahn1 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:04:59 -0500

This is a summary of emails received on "Search for successful
anti-diarrhea methods, medications, & remedies"

  a.. Extremely grateful for the many who responded

  b.. A few emails were lost due to worm (form of virus) which came with
      one diarrhea attachment (no pun intended)

  c.. Frequency: Number listed if more than once.

++++++++

Pepto Bismol  --caplets--, four a day,

++++++

Using the juice that forms when blackberries are canned.  You could make
this by cooking frozen blackberries in some sweetened water until the
water is dark purple.

++++++

Blackberry brandy.

+++++

boil some rice in water for about 15 minutes.  Use a lot of water as if
you were cooking pasta.  Then strain off the rice, add a pinch of sea
salt & a couple pinches of sugar.    Drink only an ounce at a time every
5 or 10 minutes. 1+1+

++++++++

(2) lomotil (by prescription) is an effective product.  Over the counter
products include Imodium AD and Imodium Advanced chewable tablets are
good products. ++++++

Kaolin mixtures

++++++++

Black tea is good

+++++++

Avoid eating too much fresh and dried fruit

++++++++

amitrytilene, 75 mg a day. It's an anti depressant (I'm not depressed
but he's given it to me to help stop the pain and cramps of irritable
bowel and it's helped a lot).

++++++++

(4) immodium 2 tablets four times per day (I take Imodium AD every three
days and it seems to keep it somewhat under control.)

++++++++++++++++

Primal Defense, recommended by my nutritionist + went on MEVY diet at
the same time (meat, eggs, veggies, yogurt).

++++++++++

acidophilous (GNC brand) and L-glutamine (500 mg) both taken 3 times per
day prior to meals.  It really seems to have made a significant
difference.

++++++++

recommend you the order this book: 'breaking the vicious cycle' by
Ellaine Gottshall. It's a diet for celiac, colitis, crohn's, etc see web
sites: www.scdiet.com, www.scdiet.org

++++++++

For microscopic colitis my doctor prescribed metroniazole 250 four times
per day.  It helped me immediately. Now I take critical daily and seem
to have it under control except for an occasional  gluten ingestion.

+++++++

Find a health food store, and ask for Colocynthis 30 K,  (by Unda) it is
good for stopping diarrhea, also good is Diarrhea by Nu-Medicine.

++++++++

wild blueberries.   "How do you cure colitis or for that mattert
constant diarrhea (and maybe ulcers)? boil white rice in plenty of
saltwater until the rice is very soft.  As you probably won't be able to
buy wild blueberries, soak dried wild blueberries in a little warm water
(initially boil because you want to rule out any germs) and add the
water + blueberries to the drained rice.  Eat this by carefully chewing
and drink wild blueberry tea (2 - 3 tablespoons, boiled in a cup of
water, let rest for 10 min) also eat a few tablespoons of dried wild
blueberries in between meals, and again chew carefully, forget the large
cultured blueberries; they are not half as effective as wild ones from
colder northern climates like Maine.  After that with soft white rice
and soft boiled carrots or fennel.  remember you are not interested in
vitamins, etc,., just holding food down to absorb nutrients.  Minerals
should be your first concern, so boil rice and soak blueberries in a
high mineral content still mineral water...etc"   Go to www.dadamo.com
and search the archives for the entire post.

++++++++

Metamucil helps others since it absorbs water & add bulk, kind of
regulating the system. This may take some of the fat soluble vitamins
out of the body.  Some are othered by high fat or high fiber, or just by
large meals (and need to graze all day long.). Some g.f. foods: rice,
tapioca, soy, canola, corn and others, can cause problems even though
they are g.f.  Even a trace of lactose can cause problems in some, but
I'm assuming that you have done the milk elimination.

Make sure none of the g.f. foods you use are not contaminated in
production--Two come to mind, Kellogg's Corn Pops & Pebbles cereals &
also Rice Dream beverage--brown rice syrup not g.f.

You might also want to keep a food diary to see if you can identify any
foods that cause a worse reaction than others.

++++++++++

I also had microscopic colitis. It did not respond to any of a series of
medications: PeptoBismol, Asacol., Culturelle and Questran did nothing.
Flagyl, Cipro and prednisone improved the symptoms, although they did
not clear entirely, and as soon as I stopped them the diarrhea returned.
Prednisone had miserable side effects. I was on it for six months, as it
was the only thing that controlled the diarrhea to the point that I was
not losing weight. Ultimately, I showed evidence of having celiac
disease, and I went on a strict GF diet. Since then, the only times I
have had diarrhea have been when I have accidentally eaten something
containing gluten. My GI and I believe that, at least in my case, the
microscopic colitis represented "colonic sprue."

I suspect that microscopic colitis may not actually be a single entity,
but a number of diseases with similar pathology. In many cases it does
respond completely to a GF diet; in others PB is effective; in others,
Asacol controls it. Lotronex, which is now off the market, worked very
well in some people. I have been hearing anecdotally from several people
that Elavil is effective. So little is known about MC that the treatment
is very much trial and error and can be very frustrating.

There is a chat devoted to MC at www.finerhealth.com on Wednesday nights
at 9 PM Eastern. I'd welcome you to stop by. (Received from a MD)

Roger Domyahn