From:
"S.McLeod" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:24:23 +1300

Dear Listmates,
I have an article, which off-hand I can't find, that says some
emulsifiers in ice-creams are not gf. Does anyone have a list of which
ones are or are not gf? And are the same ones always gf or does it
depend on how they are processed. Since we use the European Food
Additive numbers, a list of these would be ok, since I have a couple of
lists which say what they stand for, one of which is at this Australian
site: http://allergy.pair.com/additives/foodad.htm

I looked in the archives and someone else asked about emulsifiers two
years ago but doesn't seem to have summarised. I am tired of reading
labels that are meaningless and keep wondering if I am depriving my
coeliac daughter of food she could be eating (not to mention having to
pass on store brands that are often cheaper).
Thanks for any enlightenment on the subject,
Stella (New Zealand)

PS On the subject of different gf definitions: is anyone conducting
research to compare the effects on the coeliac population of adhering to
different standards? Seems like it might help settle any differences if
there was sufficient objective proof that one system was better than the
other.